MacBook Pro Max RAM - 8GB or 16GB?

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

Re: MacBook Pro Max RAM - 8GB or 16GB?

I have a Macbook pro mid 2012 with 2.5GHz Dual Intel Core i5. I bought the 16gb RAM to upgrade, although as others have said, Apple indicates 8gb RAM is the max. My computer started to do a bunch of strange things - hanging on multitasking, freezing etc. It was random and not related to any specific program or action. I finally took it in to the Genuis bar to have it assessed. It came back that the problem was with the RAM. Most of the log files error messages were associated with some type of dropped packets. Anyway I reinstalled the original 4gb and this immediately solved the pectular and unpredictable behaviour but the computer is back to being so slow for data processing and forget even trying any video processing. I know others that run successfully with this amount of RAM. Is it possible one of the cards is faulty or is packet dropping a result of the processor being overworked? I still have the 16gb RAM in its original packaging. 

JEDEC Jedi

BarbaraB,

A MacBook Pro 13"/15" (mid 2012) should fully support 2x8GB PC3-12,800 (1600MHz) SO-DIMMs for a total of 16GB of memory.    Always unplug the magsafe connector & unplug the battery before inserting or removing any part.

1)  Did you purchase the memory directly from Crucial using their Crucial Advisor Tool or System Scanner?

2)  Please provide the information from the labels on the memory and the part number you ordered.   If it is Crucial memory, does it say "For Mac" anywhere on the module or packaging?

3)  Check to make sure your laptop has the latest EFI & SMC firmware.  If your laptop doesn't have the latest you should install it.   However, I don't think the installer will work if you've updated to a newer major release of OSX.  If this is the case, let me know & I will see if I can provide a way for you to do it.

4)  It's possible you didn't have the memory fully seated in the memory slots. 

When you release the memory from the latches on the original memory, note the angle it is in the slot before removing it.  Insert the new memory at close to the same angle and make sure it is fully inserted in the slot before latching it in place.  

Sometimes when installing the 2nd module, it can cause the first module latch to pop the memory loose.   While leaving the 2nd module in place, you can take a toothpick and press on the first module to make sure it is locked in (just press on a open area near the edge, not on any electronics or you will damage the memory).

Try to be careful when sliding the memory in and out across the plastic latches.  The edges of the memory can scrape the very small narrow plastic tab that actually holds the memory in place.

5)  I usually blow compressed air across the memory slot before installing memory as most laptops are really dusty.

6)  Examine the gold contacts on both sides of the memory modules.   They will show a straight like scratch mark on them, but otherwise they should look clean with no blemishes.

7)  If you still have issues, then you need to determine if the problem is with one of the memory slots or one of your memory modules.   Install just one module and test.  If it is Ok, then remove it and try the other one in the same slot.    If both work, then you've confirmed both modules are good as well as the one slot.   Try the known good new memory in the other slot leaving the known good slot empty.  If you have problems, then this slot has an issue.  If everything works, then it appears there is an issue only with both modules installed which usually indicates a Logic Board issue, perhaps you are just one of the unfortunate ones that cannot handle the full 16GB.  I've never had any problems using an 8GB Crucial module.  I've only ever installed a couple with the full 16GB, and they never had any issues either.  Hopefully it will at least let you run it with the 8GB and the 1GB or 2GB modules for 9GB or 10GB.

8)  Run the Apple Hardware Test by booting the laptop & holding down the  "D" key just after the startup chime.

9)  Run the Memtest86 memory test.  Note:  If either test reports a failure, then you know you likely have a problem.  Just because these two tests pass, doesn't mean there isn't a problem.  It just means it didn't trigger a failure. 

Kilobyte Kid

HWTECH, 

Thanks for the reply. Yes I did use the crucial tool, and the label indicates "SODIUMM MAC" (see photo). I bought the RAM through amazon.ca and still have the order history for that but it was a while ago. The issues I had with crashing had me rather freaked out as I had a ton of data on the computer and had some major deadlines and no other computer accessible for use -- so since the computer became stable again after removing the new RAM, I just set it aside and left it. My friend had highly reccommended crucial due to its solid reputation so it didnt even cross my mind at that time that I should see whether just adding one card would cause the same problem and the Apple tech made me feel like I had added too much RAM. Anyway,  this week, after feeling more certain that it wasn't an issue with the 16gb a friend suggested putting in just one of the 8gb ram - to test the stability of the system and see perhaps there was just an issues with one of the cards. Within an hour my computer was randomly crashing so I replaced that one with the other 8gb ram card and surprisingly I have been running on the 2 +8 gb RAM for the remainder of the week without issue.  So it would appear that there might just be an issue with one of the cards. Is there anything I can do about a possible replacement given that I purchased it from amazon (in Dec 2015 Smiley Surprised) or do I just need to consider buying a single card to replace the one that seems to be causing an issue?  

ThanksCruRAM.jpg

Kilobyte Kid

I should add that when I swamped out the 8gb card casuing problems, I put the other 8bg into the same slot, so it doesn't seem to be a slot issue.

Bit Baby

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro, have installed the 16gb kit and I’m getting theee short beeps, three long beeps, and three short beeps upon power-on, followed by nothing. Put the original RAM back in and it starts fine (so I know I’m installing it correctly).
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

BarbaraB,

As far as I know Crucial has a lifetime warranty on their memory regardless of where it is purchased.  The only "gotcha" is you must be the original purchaser of the memory which could be a problem with some third party vendors depending on how they acquired their memory.  Contact Crucial Support directly and they will probably replace it for you.   

kenriffy,

I'm not sure I've ever encountered this particular beep sequence before, but according to Apple it indicates the EFI ROM is corrupted.   According to this document your laptop should automatically recover from it by entering an EFI ROM recovery mode which should display a progress bar as it works.

Also  15" & 17"  2011 models has known GPU issues.  If the automatic EFI ROM recovery doesn't work, then perhaps the increased memory combined with a GPU issue is triggering the issue.