Macbook Pro 2012

Bit Baby

Macbook Pro 2012

This is my daughters computer and she was having issues with color purple lines, and crashing. Apple said it was a Ram issue. So she bought the Ram Crucial, to 8 gb, and it was still crashing.  I told her to take out the ram that had ram in the orginal slot, (as I read they had soldering issues etc) so she took it out and the computer is running on 1 slot 4  and no crashing. Can we purchase either and 1 - 8 or even 1 -16 for the one slot that is working.  When I go on to the crucia slot it says 2 4gb (8 gb kit) , with the one slot not working can she purchase 1 ram at a higher gb? 

2 Replies
Community Manager

Re: Macbook Pro 2012

@2bornot2b Thanks for contacting us. I am sorry for the late reply. You could install a single 8GB memory module in this system, but we would advise against a 16GB module. The part we would recommend for this system can be found here. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Macbook Pro 2012

I am having a similar issue, and using only one of the two slots seems to solve it (crash free for 24 hours now - with lots of physical movements of the laptop that used to cause crashes).

I see that you advise against the single 16GB chip.

Is it totally incompatible, or could it be possible to use it even if you can't officially recommend it?