Macbook pro 2012 crash before and after RAM upgrade

Kilobyte Kid

Macbook pro 2012 crash before and after RAM upgrade

Hi all,

I have a mid-2012 Macbook pro i7 with 2x4Gb memory. I started getting an issue where the system would make a fuzzy screen, crash, and then beep-three times with a blank screen on start-up. All these signs indicated a RAM issue.

I took out one ram card, but still got the issue. Swapped it to another slot, but still got the issue. This implied that the RAM card, not the slots, were at fault. I then took the other ram card and placed it into one of the slots. And sure enough didn’t get any crash for the next week or so (however, it was really slow running on only 4Gb).

I decided to upgrade using your recommended memory for my model: with 2x8Gb. After it arrived, I replaced the memory, but started getting different style crashes. Approximately once a day, I will get a random shutdown and automatic restart. It then goes to a grey screen saying it encountered an unexpected shutdown. I have tried a PRAM and SMC re-set, and it crashes with or without an external power supply. 

Could it be the new RAM is at fault or is this a re-incarnation of the previous issue? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 Reply
Community Manager

Re: Macbook pro 2012 crash before and after RAM upgrade

@CalumH I am sorry for the issues that you have experienced with this RAM. What is the part number of the memory you were installing? The part number on this memory should read something like CT4G3S160BM.C16.  This will help us look into the issue further, too. We have a guide here we would suggest following to help troubleshoot further. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?