Memory slot order - iMac 2017 - 27''

Kilobyte Kid

Memory slot order - iMac 2017 - 27''

Hello there. 

I have a 2017 iMac that came with 8GB. I ordered from Crucial more 16GB and added to the empty slots. They are alternated in the slots.
Today i was seeing the system report and saw the anexed image and i was wondering if the same size memories shouldn't be in the same bank instead of having one of each on each bank. I'm having some Lightroom performance problems (the only program that gives me performance problems) and started to wonder if it was related to that. 

So, does anyone know what's the correct order to install the RAM?

iMac.png

3 Replies
Community Manager

Re: Memory slot order - iMac 2017 - 27''

@Itzamna Thanks for contacting us. I am sorry for the delay in reply. Usually you would want to install the matched pairs in the correct banks. For example,  8GB modules in Bank 0 and 4GB modules in Bank 1. Normally, it shouldn't matter how these are installed, but if you are running into issues you may try to install these in the matched slots and see if this resolves the issue. A guide to helpful troubleshooting steps can be found here. Please let us know if you are still experiencing issues. We would be happy to help you troubleshoot this issue further. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thank you for your answer.

So, that means that i have to exchange a 4Gb and a 8Gb. So far i only saw problems in Lightroom, but after about 20 minutes on the phone with Adobe Tech, they said that the new Lightroom is not that much optimized for retina displays. So there's that. 

And in terms of performance, is there any change from having my current order vs the new order?

Community Manager

@Itzamna No, there shouldn't be any performance change with the new order. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?