Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Kilobyte Kid
xdavid

PC2-5300 installed instead of PC2-6400

I purchased 2x2GB PC2-5300 chips and have added them to an iMac which should really have 2x2GB PC2-6400 chips (I got the spec wrong). The iMac is working fine and all else about the installed RAM is the same as it should be - just the installed RAM bandwidth is lower than it could be.

Is there likely to be any repercussions to this "wrong" RAM apart from maybe being slightly slower? If no other problems, would the 'speed' difference be noticeable?

Thanks in advance.

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

Re: PC2-5300 installed instead of PC2-6400

in reply to xdavid

Hi xdavid,

What is the processor speed and year of the iMac that you are you installing the RAM in? In most systems if you install a speed lower than recommended it will just run slower with no repercussions. However, in some Apple systems the RAM has to match all the same specs or you will run into issues. Issues that you may experience would be it running slowly or not functioning properly. All issues would be resolved when you remove the RAM and install the proper speed of RAM. Please let us know if you have any further questions about this upgrade.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid
xdavid

in reply to Crucial_YogiH

Thanks for reply.

RAM is installed into: iMac8,1, - iMac (Early 2008), Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.8 GHz.

Actual RAM purchased matches: iMac6,1 - iMac (24 inch), Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz
http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=iMac%202.16GHz%20Intel%20Core%202%20Duo%20(24-i...

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

in reply to xdavid

Hi xdavid,

It appears that your iMac 2.8ghz 2008 model should only support the PC2-6400. It's your decision whether you would like to exchange the RAM or run it with the slower since the slower is currently working. If you do decide to exchange the RAM please contact us at here.

Bit Baby
rabika

I invested in plenty of RAM, bought from you. It burned out and is no longer recognised. My next move was to get some more. I'm no eager to stretch the budget after previous dismal consequences. I can't do without my Mac Pro. 

cheap web hosting by EnvisionWebhosting [url=http://www.envisionwebhosting.com]cheap web hosting by EnvisionWebhosting[/url]
leather4sure - red leather jacket [url=http://www.leather4sure.com/]leather4sure - red leather jacket[/url]
Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

in reply to rabika

Hi Rabika,

I am sorry for the issues you have experienced. All of our RAM has a limited lifetime warranty and if your RAM has failed we would be happy to set up a replacement. Please contact the customer support group in your area found here and we would be happy to set this up.

Bit Baby
lourencohen

[ Edited ]

I guess the best idea is to exchange the RAM rather than getting a slow performance on the PC. The need of a RAM itself is to get a good speed on the PC. If you are not provided with a better performance in speed there is no point keeping the same.

Lourene

Our Latest Posts