Restore Failure - Not enough space on /dev/disk13s2 to restore

Kilobyte Kid

Restore Failure - Not enough space on /dev/disk13s2 to restore

Hey guys ... I am attempting to replace my HDD in my MBP with a new M500 from Crucial. I have partitioned the SSD so that I have "Macintosh SSD".  When I am Restoring and select Restore > Erase, I get a message saying:

"Restore Failure

Not enough space on /dev/disk13s2 to restore"

What does this mean?? Is there something I'm not doing right? Your help is greatly appreciated!!

7 Replies
Community Manager

Re: Restore Failure - Not enough space on /dev/disk13s2 to restore

Hi JimTurkey,

I am sorry that you have been having issues cloning your drive. It sounds like a step may have been skipped when formatting and partitioning. We have a guide that can be found here that lists every step in the cloning process using disk utility. I would recommend following it completely. If you are still running across issues, please let us know. Thank you! 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

Crucial_YogiH wrote:

Hi JimTurkey,

I am sorry that you have been having issues cloning your drive. It sounds like a step may have been skipped when formatting and partitioning. We have a guide that can be found here that lists every step in the cloning process using disk utility. I would recommend following it completely. If you are still running across issues, please let us know. Thank you! 

Thanks. I was actually following this guide and it's when I get to Step 14 that I encountered the error. 

FWIW ... I resized the original HDD to the same size as the SSD of 480GB.

Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

When I partitioned my SSD, I named it to "Macintosh SSD". However, when the Restore process completed (overnight since it took 7 hours), I noticed that my SSD was now renamed "Macintosh HD" - the same as the original HDD. 

Is this normal? Should they not be named differently??

PS ... I used Disk Utility.

Community Manager

Hi JimTurkey,

Thanks for following up. I am trying to research the issue a little further. How much data are you currently trying to clone? 

Thanks! 

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

~400GB
Community Manager

In that case the cause of the error is most likely that the amount of usable space on the M500 isn’t  quite large enough for the amount of data you are trying to clone over. There are several reasons for this.

The first is that your SSD actually doesn’t have 480GB of usable space, it is closer to 450GB. The TKB Article “Why does my SSD show up as smaller than advertised?” (http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD-Knowledge/Why-does-my-SSD-show-up-as-smaller-than...) has a detailed explanation for why this is.

So this means that the SSD actually started out with 447GB of usable space. A portion of this space becomes unavailable to the user of the computer when an Operating System is installed or cloned onto the SSD. The reason for this is that your computer needs a restore partition, it also needs a swap file and a boot record, and all these use up more of the available space. These factors combined, lead to a situation where you would really need a lot more than 400GB of free space on the target drive to clone 400GB. Unfortunately, it looks as if the 480GB SSD isn’t quite large enough.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

I had the same problem, resizing the HDD as suggested by Jim worked fine. Since I was using only 180GB, I partitioned my 750GB HD macintosh into 2 (~375GB each, one empty one containing my stuff, using Disk Utility) so that I could source the used one to restore my new 525GB SSD. Also, in the Recovery Mode I had to mount the relevant HD macintosh partition, enter my password. Only then could I restore the SSD! Good luck,

Francisco