Reusing RAM from a 2010 MacBook Pro in a 2017 27” iMac

Bit Baby

Reusing RAM from a 2010 MacBook Pro in a 2017 27” iMac

I purchased additional RAM in an attempt to salvage a dying MacBook Pro, and am wondering if I can reuse it in my new 27” iMac.
I tried checking this site but could only find compatibility specs up to 2015 machines unless I’m missing something. I can use OWC to see what RAM definitely works w the iMac but I don’t know enough to be able to see what that means about the RAM I already own. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
If it helps I can provide the specs on the iMac - the specs for the RAM are:
Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3/DDR3L 1066 MT/s (PC3-8500) SODIMM 204-Pin Memory For Mac - CT2K4G3S1067
Thanks!
4 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Reusing RAM from a 2010 MacBook Pro in a 2017 27” iMac

Memory from a 2010 Apple computer will not work in a 2017 Apple computer.

Also, the reason why Crucial doesn't list memory for the 2017 iMac is because it is not easy to install.   The whole computer must be taken apart including the Logic Board in order to access the memory.

Community Manager

@finnpapa HWTech is correct. We do not recommend upgrading your iMac yourself and the 2010 Macbook Pro RAM would not be compatible with your system. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

As for user-upgradeability, you are thinking of the 21.5” model in which the RAM is soldered in. The 27” can be easily upgraded via a port in the back and Apple sanctions this. Here’s their guide: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201191

I did learn that the old RAM is not the same speed and won’t work in my iMac, so that part is correct, thanks.
Bit Baby

Please see my response to HWTech above: you both appear to be thinking of the 21.5” model. Crucial lists compatible RAM for my model, here: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Apple/imac-%28retina-5k%2C-27-inch%2C-2017%29-i...
But doesn’t have the model in its reverse compatibility tool, which is what I was referring to in my original post. I know I can buy new, compatible RAM - which is what I’ve learned I must do in this case - but I had been trying to determine whether my old RAM would work. (It won’t).