Upgrade of mid-2012 MBP to 16GB RAM actually work?

SOLVED
Bit Baby

Re: Upgrade of mid-2012 MBP to 16GB RAM actually work?

Hi Yogi,

The part numbers you have suggested in your post below for 16gb RAM upgrade (CT2K8G3S160BM or CT2KIT102464BF160B) for a  15" MBP mid-2012 2.3GHz i7 (non retina) are not the same as the part number (CT3327442) that appears when using the Crucial Scanner for this laptop.. please can you advise which to select ? 

I also note from an earlier post that you recommend 1333mhz RAM for my system, however all of the options suggested by you/Crucial above are 1600mhz

I look forward to hearing from you

Thanks

Ryan

Crucial_YogiH wrote:

Hello Juls-r,

Thanks for contacting us today. We would be happy to help you find the correct memory for your system. It appears that your system can only be upgraded to 16GB of memory. The correct part number would be CT2K8G3S160BM or CT2KIT102464BF160B. Both of these upgrades are dual voltage.
This would mean that they would run at 1.35v if the system allows it, but would run at 1.5v if necessary. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Bit Baby

Hi Yogi,

The part numbers you have suggested in your post above for 16gb RAM upgrade (CT2K8G3S160BM or CT2KIT102464BF160B) for a  15" MBP mid-2012 3.3GHz I7 (non retina) are not the same as the part number (CT3327442) that appears when using the Crucial Scanner for this laptop.. please can you advise which to select ? 

I also note from an earlier post that you recommend 1333mhz RAM for my system, however all of the options suggested by you/Crucial above are 1600mhz

I look forward to hearing from you

Thanks

Ryan

Crucial_YogiH wrote:

Hello Juls-r,

Thanks for contacting us today. We would be happy to help you find the correct memory for your system. It appears that your system can only be upgraded to 16GB of memory. The correct part number would be CT2K8G3S160BM or CT2KIT102464BF160B. Both of these upgrades are dual voltage.
This would mean that they would run at 1.35v if the system allows it, but would run at 1.5v if necessary. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Community Manager

@Ryan-F Thanks for your reply. I am sorry for the confusion with the part numbers. On our system scanner and memory advisor we list our Crucial external part numbers. The two parts are basically the same. When you order online by system information, you are shown what we refer to as an “external” part number, in your case number CT3327442. It is a system specific number and is mapped exclusively to the MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 (15-inch DDR3) Mid-2012. The longer part number, CT2C8G3S160BMCEU (EU version of CT2C8G3S160BM), is the one that would you see printed on your module, and that is the actual module part number, or the "base" part number. CT2KIT102464BF160B is the generic 1600 mhz memory that has the same specifications. 

There are other specifications to memory than the basic ones published on the site, and they sometimes requires us to filter out a certain build of a part for a specific system. The external part number can accomplish this, since we can build filters into them when necessary. Those filters are also the reason that we can only guarantee compatibility if you order by system; the external part number tells us which computer you are ordering for. If you order by specifications we don't know what model of computer you have, and that makes it impossible to guarantee compatibility.

The 1333 mhz recommendation was either for a different 2012 model or potentially from an older post prior to us recommending 1600 mhz for as many systems. Based on your specifications and system scanner results this 1600 mhz memory is compatible with your system. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

That's great - thanks for your help Yogi : )

Bit Baby

Hi,

Was wondering if you managed to solve this issue.

I have a similar problem - except my MBP is the 2.7 GHz.

Mid 2012 Macbook Pro

2.7 Ghz i7

8GB Ram

Nvidia 650M 1 Gb

I also own a 2.3 GHz i7 Mid 2012 Macbook Pro.

In the 2.7 I find that the top DIMM slot will not accpet the 8GB DIMM, but it will happily take a 2GB or 4GB.

The bottom slot will take the 8GB no problem.

So if I fit 2 x 8GB I get the 3 beeps - it will quite happily accpet  1x8GB and 1x4GB,

By means of comparisson my 2.3 GHz MBP 2012 works with the 2x8GB absolutely fine.

I'm wondering whether some EFI update is needed to make the top slot accept an 8GB DIMM.

JEDEC Jedi

@TheRealChippy

Have you verified that particular 8GB module works Ok in the other slot?  Perhaps the one module is bad.   Try each new module one at a time by themselves to verify they are Ok.   Then try each slot to find out what is actually bad.

Be very careful installing & removing memory.   Make sure to spread apart both levers at the same time to minimize the memory modules from scraping the small protrusions on the levers.   These small protrusions are what hold the memory in place and they can be damaged easily.

When you refer to "top" slot, do you mean the one where the last module is installed? 

Blow some compressed air in the memory slots to clean out any dust that may have gotten in there.

Also after installing both modules, make sure both modules are fully latched in place.   When installing the upper module, it can sometimes release the lower one.  I take a non-metalic object such as a toothpick and gently press on an empty spot near the edge of the lower module to make sure it is fully locked in place.   Make sure not to press on any of the very small components on the memory module or you could damage it.  Then gently press on the upper module to double check it is locked in place.

Crucial Employee

@TheRealChippy you may want to try a NVRAM reset to see if you can get the second slot to accept the 8GB part. I would suggest trying the reset with just one 8GB part in, then install the second, and try the reset again.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

Here are the steps for an SMC reset as well, which sometimes may help with getting new memory to recognize.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Crucial_Benny, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?