Upgrade of mid-2012 MBP to 16GB RAM actually work?

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Upgrade of mid-2012 MBP to 16GB RAM actually work?

mikekouk, for some reason my original message can't be posted, but I haven't installed my 8GB chips yet.  However, my machine is quite different from yours (4GB, slower processor etc.); you'll want to check with those whose machines match your specs exactly.  Hope this helps.

Bit Baby

got the 16gb kit and installed it but my macbook pro still sees 2 4gb instead of of 2 8gb...what's the problem?

Bit Baby

Hi there,

I am having a macbook pro (mid 2012) 2.5 GHz Intel core i5 model. It comes with the standard 4gb RAM. The system goes really slow when i use multiple apps like MATLAB, Adobe PS/LR, etc. Can I upgrade it with a 16gb RAM?

Cheers,

Ari

Community Manager

Hi arijit_uoa,

Thank you for contacting us today. It appears that your system can be upgraded to 16GB of RAM. The compatible upgrade for your system can be found here. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

Best regards,

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Bit Baby

Hi Crucial_YogiH,

I have the same MBP (mid 2012, 2,5 ghz i5, 4gb), and also thinking about upgrading to 16gb.
I've checked the link you gave (the compatible upgrade - this one), but could not find this in my country.

However, found another one, with the same speed and CL. But just to make it sure, could you check this link for me please?

I know, the language of the site is not english, but you can see the specs on the right.

Thank you in advance!

Community Manager

HI szistee, 

Thank you for contacting us today. Yes, the part number in the link that you provided is the same thing Smiley Happy You should have no issues purchasing that upgrade. Please let us know if  there is anything else that we can help you with. 

Best regards, 

Bit Baby

Hello!...

I have a MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz, Intel Core i5, Mid 2012 with 4GB RAM at 1600 MHz DDR3, and have a couple of questions:

1. I suppose I can upgrade to 16GB no problem, right?  Will my laptop fully run at 16GB RAM or it will only reach the max celing at 8GB?

2. When I get the upgrade, should I look for the one with 1600 MHz speed or I have to get the 1333.  Is it worth it getting the 1600?

3. I have the apple care program for 3 years.  I have only spend my 1st year and the question is, if something happens to my laptop and I have to take it for service, if before doing so I remove the upgrade and put back the original 4GB memory, is there any way that the apple people can find out I have been using this upgrade and therefore void the rest of the warranty?

Than You!...

-Alex

Community Manager

[ Edited ]
Hi alex1972, Thank you for contacting us today. I can help you out with the questions that you have about upgrading your Mac Smiley Happy 1. Yes, your system will run with 16GB with no issues. It will utilize the full 16GB. 2. When you upgrade you should go with 1600mhz. Your system will utilize the speed of the memory and it is the speed we are recommending here. 3. There would be no way for Apple to know if you had had more RAM installed at one point. But, it is not necessary to remove the RAM prior to receiving Apple Care. Our upgrades will not void your warranty with Apple. I will attach a flier that explains the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act that allows you to upgrade without worry. Edit: I had to attach a picture of the flier in the second post. Sorry about that!

Community Manager

[ Edited ]

y . 

Bit Baby

This is perhaps an older topic, but I thought I would add my experience. I ran fine with my Mid 2012 and 16GB of Crucial RAM for 2.5 years....until I had to have the logic board on my MBP replaced due to a GPU issue. The new logic board goes into kernel panic when I have both sticks of RAM installed. Initially I thought it was a bad RAM module (because that's what the store told me, and I verified that installing the second module prevented the system from booting), but the replacement had the same issue. I also tried swapping the two RAM modules and had the same problem: 1 stick good, 2 sticks bad. 

Because Apple doesn't officially support 16GB RAM in these models, and because it boots fine with 2x4GB of Apple RAM, Apple will not see this as a problem. This despite the fact that both Crucial modules work just fine on their own and that they worked fine as a pair in my old board.

So, your mileage may vary. It should work, but if it doesn't then you don't really have any recourse with Apple.