Upgrade of mid-2012 MBP to 16GB RAM actually work?

SOLVED
Bit Baby

Re: Upgrade of mid-2012 MBP to 16GB RAM actually work?

I was just wondering if there is any advantage to using faster speed memory than what Crucial offers? I have a late 2011 15" 2.5GHz Core i7 Macbook Pro with 8GB of ram currently. Crucial lists the ram options of DDR3-1333 but I have seen ram specs up to 2133MHz (possibly more) and was just wondering if there is any benefit to the faster ram or will the Macbook only run at 1333MHz no matter what the ram specs are?

Community Manager

Hi RichardP,

Thanks for contacting us today.  I pulled up your system and the memory available for it on our website. It doesn't appear that your system would take advantage of faster memory than the 1333mhz. If installed, it may actually cause some system issues. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Bit Baby

I have a mid-2012 MBP with 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM installed; processor is 2.9 i7 dual-core...

My questions are:  Would installing to the full 16GB make a noticeable difference in speed? Would I only be able to install DDR3 (or could I install DDR4?)? Would it make a difference (if possible) to install DDR4 rather than DDR3? 

Thanks Smiley Happy

Community Manager

Hi strongbad,

Thanks for contacting us today.  If you use a lot of memory intensive programs or have a lot of windows open you would notice the speed.

Unfortunately, DDR3 is the only RAM your system would be able to utilize. The type of RAM (ie DDR3, DDR4, etc) is not interchangeable.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid

I have just installed the 16GB kit on my MBP Early 2011, and I definitely notice a huge difference.  No crashes or problems as someone else had reported on this model, and it is seeing all 16GB, for those who are on the fence.  So happy with this upgrade!

Bit Baby

Yes I can confirm that this 16 GB upgrade DOES work!!! I have a mid-2012 15" Macbook Pro and I upgraded from 8GB, the most it said it would support, to the 16GB ram. My computer recognizes it under "about this Mac". YAY!!!

TIP: Go to https://amazon.com and search for 1600 Mhz DDR3 16 GB.

Amazon has the lowest price for this I've seen; plus as a Prime member I got FREE 2 day shipping!

Bit Baby

Will your

• Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3-1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) 204-Pin SODIMM Notebook Memory CT2KIT102464BF160B / CT2CP102464BF160B

work in my mid-2012 13-inch MacBook Pro?

You sell it on on Amazon.

Thanks. 

Kilobyte Kid

Hi, 

can you confirm that my mac:

-MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011)

-Processor Name: Intel Core i7

-Processor Speed: 2,8 GHz

-Memory:4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

will support Crucial ram model:

- DDR3 2x 8 GB 1600 MHz (CT2C8G3S160BMCEU)

Otherwise please advise which model 16gb ram should I install. Smiley Wink Thanks alot.

Bit Baby

Yes it does. I did it to my non-retina Macbook Pro and it is blazing fast again. Worst upgrade to purchase directly from Apple when configuring a Mac is RAM. 3rd party is much less expensive and works just as well. The only exeption is the Mac Mini and the 4K iMac since these are not DIY upgradable. A major downside for adding more power over the years to avoid having to upgrade in full. I said hey if I can up my RAM from 8 to 16, it'll get me another 3 years at least. Much cheaper ($99) than buying a new Mac.

Bit Baby

[ Edited ]

Dispongo de un macbook pro 13 mid 2012

Instalé un ssd Samsung 850 evo y a parte de ello, actualicé la memoria ram a 16 gigas

Memoria RAM: Crucial DDR3L 1866Mhz 

Corre super, es una maquina para no salir de ella jamás, porque aprovecha todos los recursos.

Al principio tenia mis dudas, pero me arriesgué y fue la mejor inversiòn.

I have a macbook pro 13 mid 2012 I installed a ssd Samsung 850 evo 120 Gigas and part of it , I upgraded the RAM to 16 gigas RAM : 1866Mhz Crucial DDR3L Super Run is a machine to not get out of it ever , because it leverages all resources. At first I had my doubts, but I took a chance and it was the best investment.

Lo recomiendo. Soporta todo lo que le metas