Upgrade of mid-2012 MBP to 16GB RAM actually work?

SOLVED
Bit Baby

Re: Upgrade of mid-2012 MBP to 16GB RAM actually work?

I have a mid 2012 13" MBP with 2x2 GB ram. I have encountered the problem of the 'three beeps' that keep the computer from starting up. Based on what I have learned on various discussion forums, the issue is improved by removing the memory card from the lower slot. I would like to upgrade to 16gb, but since I am only using one slot, I am wondering if if would work as well, or whether I should just stick to one 8gb card for the upper slot. Thanks for your prompt reply!

Bit Baby

hi! i have a 13 inch MacBook Pro, from Mid 2012, is NOT the retina model, is the Unibody model. can I upgrade it to 16GB RAM?? the procesor of my mac is i7 2.9G Thanks!

Community Manager

Hi marianoaburtos,

Thanks for contacting us today. Yes, you may upgrade to 16GB of RAM  with your system. A link to upgrades for your system can be found here:

http://goo.gl/mqK09x

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

I have a mid 2012 13" macbook pro, with a 2.5 ghz Intel Core i5 processor. Can I safely upgrade to 16gb of memory (2x8) and see a genuine difference between that and 8gb? 

Thanks.

Community Manager

HI coldpondwater,

Thanks for contacting us. I pulled up your system information and it does appear that your computer can be upgraded to 16GB of memory. The kit you would need for this can be found here:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/macbook-pro-2*5ghz-intel-core-i5-%2813-inch-ddr3%29-mid-2012/CT3327430

It will really depend on the programs you currently use and how much of your memory your system is currently utilizing. In most cases you should notice a speed increase, however, if you are using the system for just internet and email you probably wouldn't notice an increase in speed after this upgrade.

Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

Upgrade of mid-2012 MBP to 16GB RAM actually work?

[ Edited ]

Hello! I just bought 2 8GB ram sticks for my macbookpro mid 2012 15" laptop. When I put both in, it was only registering that I was only getting one slot worth of ram (8gb) even though both were inserted correctly. Checked both individually and both are fine and both slots working perfectly. I know it says on the apple support website that maximum is 8gb however I have seen many people get 16gb worth of ram. Needing to know if I am misunderstanding and should go back to exchange the 2 8gbs for 2 4gbs? or if anyone can explain how exactly they were able to get 16gb of ram? Was I just impatient and didnt let my computer realize it had 16gb or am I doing somthing wrong?

Bit Baby

I am having the same issue! I got two 8GB sticks of RAM (from Crucial) to upgrade my sad, slow 15 inch early 2011 MacBook Pro. The "about this Mac" tab is only showing 8GB of ram (I used to have 4GB), but as far as I know, both 8GB sticks are installed correctly in the slots etc. Why isn't it recognizing 16GB? 

Bit Baby

Hi Crucial_YogiH, do you know why after installing 2 sticks of 8GB into my early 2011 15" MacBook Pro, it wouldn't be recognized? The "About this Mac" section only shoes 8GB. I previously had only 4GB, but would really like to get up to 16GB as this thread is stating many people have done. Any help is appreciated! Thank you

Community Manager

Hi peezuh,

Thanks for contacting us today. What is the speed of the RAM that you purchased for this system? Do you have the part number? This will help us determine that the part you purchased is compatible with your system. I would advise reinstalling each module individually. This will help determine if it's one defective memory module causing the issue, or possibly an installation issue. The top module can be harder to fit in to the Macbook Pro. More advice on possible issues with your RAM can be found here:

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-memory-for-Mac-systems/Problems-with-your-new-Apple-memory/ta-p/...

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

Hi! I just saw this but thanks for getting back to me. I will try reinstalling each on it's own tonight. I think it could possibly and issue with the top module fitting correctly in the slot :/ 

This is what I purchased: 

Crucial 16GB (2 x 8G) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3L 1600 (PC3L 12800) Laptop Memory Model
CT2KIT102464BF160B]

IScreen-Shot-2016-06-08-at-7.22.13-AM.png 

That is a screenshot of the "About this Mac" on my machine BEFORE I installed the new RAM. I am thinking maybe I possibly purchased the wrong kind? Let me know what you think! Thank you again and I'll check back tonight/try reinstalling the new RAM to get it to fit correctly in the top slot.