iMAC Retina memory Upgrade issues

Bit Baby

iMAC Retina memory Upgrade issues

I had to report this as i think it may be proving an issue to a few people out there.

I purchased a fullt loaded retinal iMAC with the intention of upgrading the RAM, i originally purchase a 16GB pack to compliment the already installed 8GB pack, but after installing i had lots of nasty reboots and kernal panics. I tested the ram from Diags and MEMtest and it failed, so i RMAd it.

I reveived new RAM and installedf ad again it failed.... So i took out the memory and test first the 8GB Apple stuff all passed fine, I then removed the Apple stuff and popped the Crucial into slots 1 and 3 and that also tested ok, i then installed Apples into 2 and 4 and it failed again.

So i was starting to think slots 2 and 4 were duff, so my last effort was to buy some more Crucial and have 32GB of crucial and no Apple.

That came this morning and its passed all tests and system is stable

SO as some advice to new customers who have kernal panics are you mixing the RAM. No matter what i did it wouldnt work, i had to either have 1 of the other.

Crucial is this a know issue ? is it a timing thing or some memory parameter ? that the 2 dont work well together...

14 Replies
Bit Baby

Re: iMAC Retina memory Upgrade issues

[ Edited ]

Been buying Crucial memory for iMacs since the first white core duo 2 came out and have never mixed with Apple factory sticks. I have heard that they don't play well together, your experience confirms that.

Just purchased a new 27" and bought 32GB from Crucial with the intention of pulling the Apple factory stick. (which is what I always do)

Kilobyte Kid

I had the exact same experience and just completed the RMA to send for a replacement. Now I'm thinking I'd be wasting my time and that of Crucial's as well. I really don't need 32GB, however, and don't like the idea of just "wasting" the 8GB of Apple memory I already paid for.

Crucial, can you comment on this situation? Can you really not mix the Apple and Crucial memory in the 27" Retina iMac Late 2014 model? My order # is 602016531 and my iMac came with 8GB from the factory. I left the existing memory in the original and I made sure to seat the new memory properly.

In addition to experience spontaneous system reboots, the computer failed the hardware diagnostics with memory failures. Removing the Crucial memory restored the system to error-free operation.

Community Manager

Hi palfvin,

You should be able to mix our memory with Apple's memory. We have passed on this information to our engineering department so they are aware of the issues you all have been experiencing. 

My recommendation at this time is to keep contacting us directly for these RMAs and for troubleshooting. The more information we have the more we can research these issues. I am sorry for the inconvenience that this has caused.

Thanks,

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Bit Baby

I am having a similar issue.  My order # is 602060554 and my machine will now not boot.  It has three tones followed by a 5 second delay before 3 tones again.  Is this a faculty memory problem?  Do I need to return it?

Community Manager

Hi immortalsix,

First of all I’m sorry that your system is not booting with your new memory installed.

Generally you can mix Crucial memory with Apple memory no problem at all.  It is very rare that this does not work well together.   With iMac systems memory can look like it is fully installed but it may need to pressed in even harder.  Have you tried the new memory in the system on its own?  This would be the best way to check and see if it is installed correctly and to check and see if it is due to compatibility.

If you do need to arrange an exchange then you can contact the customer service team on the following link:  http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-contact

If you do have any other questions at all, please don’t hesitate to ask and I would be more than happy to help. 

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
Bit Baby

I too am a member of the club

Brand new iMac 5K.

Came with 8GB of Apple RAM.

Bought 16GB of Crucial RAM, CT2K8G3S160M, and installed it into slots 2 and 4.

3 beeps of death.

Removed Crucial RAM and iMac booted.

Removed Apple RAM and put Crucial RAM into slots 1 and 3. Successful boot.

Added Apple RAM to slots 2/4 and 3 beeps of death.

Apple and Crucial RAM do not work together in my iMac.

Annoying.

Will be buying more Crucial RAM.

Bit Baby

Re: I too am a member of the club

Solved my problem.

Bought 2 more sticks of Crucial RAM.

Installed the 16GB.

All is well.

Threw 8GB of Apple RAM in the trash.

Bit Baby

Just received  a 16gb upgrade from Crucial for my Retina iMac

Unfortunately, with the new ram installed my Mac won't recover from sleep

Diagnostics and memory tests show the memory as OK

As I already have another 27" non Retina imac with a Crucial upgrade, I tried swapping memory around to test out your theory about mixing Crucial and Mac memory

With my Retina Mac loaded with four sticks of Crucial memory it still refused to recover from sleep

Reinstall the original mac memory on it's own and everything works perfectly

So it looks like there IS a difference between the Mac memory in my Retina iMac and the sticks you have sent me :-(

(selected using your website memory selection tool) What are the timings for the Crucial sticks compared to the Mac memory?

Does anyone have any further ideas, or am I looking at an RMA?

Keith

Community Manager

Hi Keith,

Please contact us directly using the information in my signature. I am sorry for the inconvenience and the problems you have experienced!

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US