iMac 2017 - upgrade RAM - problem with original RAM

Bit Baby

iMac 2017 - upgrade RAM - problem with original RAM

Hi, I just got my new iMac 2017 with an i7 and bought the 2x16GB kit (Crucial 32GB Kit CT10559861).

I installed the RAM in the free slots and the machine wouldn't start. It starts with either the original 8 GB from Aplle in place or with the 32 GB from Crucial. But when I put all four chips in, the screen stays black and the iMac does not start. I tried the Crucial in slots 1 and 3 (Apple RAM in slots 2 and 4) and in slots 2 and 4 (Apple RAM in slots 1 and 3) with the same result.

Any suggestion?

3 Replies
Community Manager

Re: iMac 2017 - upgrade RAM - problem with original RAM

@AlainBE I am sorry for the issues that you have experienced with your upgrade. What is the processor speed of your iMac 2017? We would be happy to check into this further for you.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

Having the same exact issue. i7 processor at 4.2 ghz speed. Please need suggestion

Community Manager

@vargalac I am sorry that you are having the same issues with your RAM. Just to clarify, your system will start with the original Apple RAM installed by itself or just the Crucial RAM installed?

We would recommend confirming that the matched pairs are installed together in their corresponding slots. A guide that shows this installation process can be found here

If the RAM appears to be in the correct slots and the RAM is still not working, it could point to a density issue between the new and old memory. To check this density we would advise comparing the little black chips that are on each module and see if the original RAM and the new RAM have the same amount or not. If your new memory has fewer this could explain the issue. Unfortunately, we can only guarantee compatibility between our memory and your system, not with your old memory. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?