iMac 27" late 2015 5K crushes & reboots with Crucial memory upgrade

SOLVED
Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

iMac 27" late 2015 5K crushes & reboots with Crucial memory upgrade

hello there,

I finally decided to upgrade my ram from 8gb (2x4) to 32gb (2x16), but when I did, my iMac starts crushing all the time.. just to mention I left in the slots only the crucial rams and took out the apples ram.

I have run the diagnostics of apple and everything was ok.. but the Mac was still crushing.
I made a little research on the internet and I found out the this is a common issue with the ram but I didn't found out how to fix it, so I made a reset to nvram, I reinstalled the MacOS High Sierra 10.13.5 and the problem is still there... so please ... do you have the answer to this torture??? Smiley Happy 
1 Reply
JEDEC Jedi

Re: iMac 27" late 2015 5K crushes & reboots with Crucial memory upgrade

Try one stick of new RAM at a time in one slot to see if one of the modules is bad.   If one works and the other fails, then you have a bad stick of RAM and you can exchange it under warranty.   If they both work or fail, then try them one at a time in the other slot.  If both modules behave the same in both slots when installed one at a time, then I would contact Crucial Support directly to verify the memory you received is correct for your system and determine why it is failing in your system.

It doesn't hurt to blow some compressed air in the slot if there was dust around it.    

I doubt if it would help, but I would also try an SMC reset, then power on the system & immediately do a PRAM reset before it boots (hear the chime 3 times or see the screen backlight flicker on & off three times (hard to see sometimes) just to be safe).