8x2 kit just arrived, two visibly different modules, problem or not?

Kilobyte Kid

8x2 kit just arrived, two visibly different modules, problem or not?

Hello,

First off, this is the first RAM upgrade I've ever attempted, and while I've done a fair amount of research I'm definitely no expert, so sorry if this is an obvious answer or a non-issue. 

I received my RAM chips in the mail today and when I took them out of the box I noticed they look remarkably different from each other. They are both 8GB DDR3 1600 1.35v 204-pin laptop modules, I bought them together as a 16GB 8x2 kit. The model # for the individual chips is: CT102464BF160B (same for both).

Where they differ is the small black squares on either side of the module, I read the name for these somewhere but I don't remember it. One module has two rows of four for a total of 8 squares per side, while the other only has one row of four per side. The labels on the chips are different as well (the label on the packaging is exactly the same.) 

My main questions are will these two chips work together correctly, without any kind of drop in performance? What is the difference between the chip with 8 squares per side and the one with 4? And are/how are these two modules that look clearly different from each other, with different labels, identical pieces of hardware?

One last bit of information if it helps...the chips are clearly from different batches, here are the full model numbers including what I'm guessing is the lot number at the end...

CT102464BF160B.C16FER

CT102464BF160B.8DED (the back of this module has a different sticker than the back of the other, with a completely different model number: MT16KTS1G64HZ-1G6E1)

The first appears to have been manufactured in Taiwan, the second in China.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

3 Replies
Highlighted

Re: 8x2 kit just arrived, two visibly different modules, problem or not?

Hi Bonzo37,

Although the modules are essentially the same, the difference you notice is the number of DRAM chips on each module which means their densities differ.  The one with 16 chips total could be considered low density and the other high density.  For some systems this may not cause any problems, however if your system is dual channel and requires matched pairs you will need to have identical modules to benefit from this and avoid any issues. 

What system are you installing them in?  Did you order directly from Crucial?  If you had ordered a kit from us we would always make sure the materials were the same so I apologize if this has been an oversight on our part.  If you have an order number, send it to me by private message and I can look into it for you.

Thanks

Maulmod, Crucial Moderator UK

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid

Thanks for the response Maulmod.

I will be installing them on a Lenovo Thinkpad w530, which if I'm not mistaken, is dual channel. I haven't attempted installing them yet as I noticed this inconsistency out of the box. Unfortunately no, I did not buy direct through Crucial. I'll contact the vendor I used and see if they can or will swap these out (they did advertise them as a kit after all), and if not perhaps I can return them and place an order here. Thanks again for the time and help.

No problem Bonzo. 

The best thing to do would be to contact your original vendor in the first instance.  Hopefully they can swap them out for you, you basically want the extension of the part number (i.e. .C16FER) to match on both modules which makes them truly a matched pair. 

If you have any problems doing this or any further questions just let us know. 

Thanks

Maulmod, Crucial Moderator UK

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service