Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Kilobyte Kid
jd71

Age of Memory Cards

Is it possible to tell age of memory cards. I installed from another source 2x2gb ram supposed to be new but can I tell if they are. No apparent increase in speed. Just had 2 gb before upgrade

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Re: Age of Memory Cards

HI jd71,

First of all I'm sorry to hear that you have not received the performance increase you had been expecting by adding more memory to your system.

It can be hard to find out exactly when a memory module was made however the age of the module should not really cause any issues with the performance of the memory module.  What I would check first is that your system is picking up all the new memory installed in the system.

To check how much memory your Windows operating system is using, click on Start and right-click on (My) Computer then select Properties from the pop out menu.

In Windows Vista/7, the Windows System Information window will open and you can see the amount of memory there. In Windows XP, the System properties window will open and the amount of recognized memory is featured at the bottom of the General tab.

It is possible that your system is not picking up the full amount of memory installed.  If this is the case please remove the memory and reinstall it again but press harder on the modules when installing it.   When you install new memory it's sometimes not possible to see the difference in performance right away.

You should notice better performance when you have a number of different programs running at the same time.  RAM allows you to have more programs running without the system struggling to support them.  Does your system perform better with more programs installed?

If it is Crucial memory you have I would be more than happy to check and see if we can date it for you.  To do this can you confirm the part number as listed on the side of the memory module?  It will look something like CT25664AA667.16FE

It would also be great if you could confirm the make and model of the computer you are using.  Please let us know how the above steps go and if you need anything else at all please don't hesitate to contact us.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid
jd71

in reply to Crucial_Junket

Thank you. this is what is showing in Xp   Pentium (R) D CPU 3.00G Hz

3.00 GHz. 2.50 GB of Ram.    I installed 2x2gb      Will get number if required of memory cards

Kilobyte Kid
jd71

Forgot to mention PC i have. Packard Bell ISTART F2310 A10    

Kilobyte Kid
jd71

Here is number on memory cards: IN2T2GNWNEI  J1243A  2GB DDR2-667 DIMM  72-14-81

sAME ON BOTHE CARDS

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

HI jd71,

Thanks for the information you have provided.

First of all it looks like your system is not picking up the whole 4GB of memory.  It says you only have 2.5GB of memory installed. 

There could be a few different things causing this so lets try a couple of them if that's ok?  First of all I would recommend trying each memory module one at a time in the system.  When you try them check how much memory is showing in Windows to make sure each module shows as 2GB.  It's possible you are actually installing a 2GB module and a 1GB module.

The memory modules you have installed currently are not Crucial memory modules as the part numbers you have provided are not Crucial numbers.    It would also be great if you could run the Crucial system scanner with both memory modules installed.

The system scanner will run on your computer and tell you exactly what memory you have in the system.  You can run the system scanner HERE.

Can you confirm if you have Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8?  This will also help me look at what is causing the problems.  Once you have done the above suggestions please let me know and I can look in to this further for you.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid
jd71

in reply to Crucial_Junket

Thank you. tried the memory cards seperately. 1 might have a question mark. Put the old 2x1gb cards in and they seemed to be just as fast as the 2x2gb  Windows XP

Our Latest Posts