Alienware M17x R3 (Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2760QM CPU @ 2.40GHz) upgrade to 32Gb RAM - Won't boot

Bit Baby

Alienware M17x R3 (Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2760QM CPU @ 2.40GHz) upgrade to 32Gb RAM - Won't boot

I recently bought 4x Crucial CT102464BF186D 8GB (Specs: DDR3 PC3-14900 • CL=13 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1866 • 1.35V • 1024Meg x 64)

I got my local computer company to install the RAM into my Alienware M17x R3 and unfortunately it won't accept the 32Gb of RAM. The machine will load up ok with 24Gb of RAM, but not the full 32Gb. They've tested each RAM and they are all working and they've tested all the slots in the laptop and conclude that they are all working (at present, they've got it running with the 3 crucial 8Gb RAM and 1 of the existing 4Gb of RAM, meaning it's currently using 28Gb, but won't unfortunately run with the 32Gb of crucial RAM. Unfortunately, with the 32Gb it won't boot and does not appear to show any error messages. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

1 Reply
Community Manager

Re: Alienware M17x R3 (Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2760QM CPU @ 2.40GHz) upgrade to 32Gb RAM - Won't boot

@johnnierogers I am sorry for the issues that you have experienced with your RAM. Do you know if this system has the latest BIOS?  It could be that the system requires a BIOS update in order to see all the RAM or to handle all the RAM at 1866 mhz. If you are still running into issues after a BIOS update, please contact us directly and using the information in my signature. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?