Apparently I have -2 RAM slots available, how is this possible and what does it mean?

Kilobyte Kid

Apparently I have -2 RAM slots available, how is this possible and what does it mean?

Hi there

I downloaded some free software to scan my HP z400 with Windows 7 to check my RAM configuration.  I have 6GB of RAM, and the scan says I have 1 Memory slot, with -2 available.  I don't understand this, does this mean I can't add more RAM, I was under the impression that the z400 has 6 RAM slots. 

Thanks

Jack

1 Reply
Highlighted

Re: Apparently I have -2 RAM slots available, how is this possible and what does it mean?

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your post.  There are two versions of the HP z400; one with four slots which supports up to 16GB and one with six slots which can support 24GB so this might have caused a discrepancy with the Scan results.  You could try running it again and emailing us the results to have a look at, or opening up the system to check the number of slots that are there to confirm which model you have.  Both systems take the same type of memory and you can definitely upgrade from what you have just now anyway.

You will find the model details and compatible parts at the links below:

z400- 6 slots- US website

z400- 4 slots- UK website

z400- 6 slots- UK website

z400- 4 slots- UK website

Thanks

Maulmod, Crucial Moderator UK

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service