Blue screen errors

Bit Baby

Blue screen errors

i have installed on my Dell 7559 a new ram crucial ddr3 8GB 1600 and also a M.2 ssd crucial 525 and clned the system to it . i keep having blue screens

dxgmms2.sys

nvlddmkm.sys

and also memory managment error . this happens when playing games on my laptob and once while using google chrom . help

3 Replies
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Blue screen errors

Chances are your memory needs to be reseated.    A lot of people don't get the memory fully seated.

However, it is always best to make one change at a time to a computer so if you do have an issue then you know right away what is causing it.   If you remove your new SSD and reinstall the original drive you can see if the new memory is Ok.    If there are no problems, then remove the original drive and reinstall the new cloned SSD.    If you now have problems, then there is either an issue with the new SSD or there is an issue with the cloning process.

You can also boot the Dell to a boot menu (usually pressing F12 during POST) and selecting the Dell Diagnostics option.  It will run through some basic system tests including a drive test and a quick memory test.   

This all assumes you had no issues before the upgrades.

Bit Baby

i did the dell diagnostics from the biose and it ran the full test for about 5 hrs and the result was all passed . my problem happened 3 times in different situations 1st watching a movie using vlc from my external drive , 2nd while watching a video on youtube , 3rd while playing Cities Skylines . i didn't use my laptop for any of these apps and preformed the test that you suggested i updated all my drivers and also win10 i hope it helps

Tags (1)
JEDEC Jedi

Was your original drive an M.2 drive as well or was it a SATA drive?   I'm assuming your clone completed without any errors.    If the original drive was a SATA drive, then it is possible you will need to reinstall Windows on the the new M.2 SSD so it has all the proper drivers & configurations  to handle the M.2 interface.   Windows may provide an option to reinstall while keeping your data intact.   You might get lucky and Dell could have an M.2 driver you could download and install possibly saving you having to reinstall Windows (make sure to reboot after installing). 

Is your BIOS/UEFI properly configured for the M.2 slot?  You should also check for a Dell firmware update for your system.   Until you figure this out, I would only install a firmware update from 2017 and wait a couple of weeks before installing the latest 2018 firmware update since Intel has had issues recently with the January updates and the latest updates are just now being released to Dell.

I'm not sure I will be much help if the above items don't work as I no longer use Windows and things have changed a bit with Windows since I last used it.

It appears this may be a video card and/or video driver issue.  Quickly Googling those  .sys files they seem associated with the NVidia driver.   Plus everything that seems to trigger the failure seems to be video focussed applications.

You may want to locate the Kernel Panic code Windows produces for each Blue Screen.  You may be able to locate it in the Event Viewer for each Kernel Panic.  Event Viewer should offer you a chance to check the error with Microsoft.  If not, then Google the panic code for more information.    At one time you could configure Windows to stop on a Blue Screen error and not automatically restart so you could have time to get the hex code.  I don't know if this is still possible.

If you still have your original drive, you could try reinstalling it and removing the new SSD to see how things work.   Don't perform any unneccessary updates to the old drive as you want to know if any of the later driver, software or Windows updates could be causing the  problem.

This will also tell you whether the new memory is good.   If you have no problems with the original drive, then start comparing video driver versions, Windows patch differences between the original drive and the cloned SSD.   And if the old drive is a SATA drive, this may reinforce the need to install an M.2 driver or to reinstall Windows.