Can a bad power supply hose all your RAM?

SOLVED
Bit Baby

Can a bad power supply hose all your RAM?

Hi,

My desktop was running a power supply that was about, oh, 8 years old. I shut it down for a while whilst I was moving and a few months later it doesn't boot up. Sometimes posts, sometimes just beeps. It was showing issues that I thought were consistent with a bad power supply so I had that replaced and now it consistently boots but can't get through loading Win XP.
In goes the MemTest86 CD and all at least 3 sticks of ram are hosed (still running memtest on one). Some more than others. One even post, it just beeps at me. One claims the BIOS is corrupted. One posts and can begin the boot sequence or boot into MemTest86 but reports about 1000 errors (out of 1GB). Either way, this computer needs new RAM.
I'm just curious, do you think that a failing power supply could have hosed the RAM?

Please help.

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References:-
https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1187802
Logistics Solution Example

Thanks!

2 Replies
Highlighted
Crucial Employee

Re: Can a bad power supply hose all your RAM?

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us today. A faulty power supply can certainly cause issues with any part of PC, if it is causing sudden power loses. I would also replace the CMOS battery, as that might be getting old as well. If you would like to proceed with an RMA you can either click the link below or contact us directly with the information in my signature.

Warranty Replacement

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/returns

Crucial_AgentC, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Can a bad power supply hose all your RAM?

Are you using the same single slot to test all of the memory with one module seeming to pass?  Perhaps the memory is good, but some of the slots are damaged.

If the memory is indeed damaged, chances are the motherboard has also suffered damage as well as the CPU.  In fact all of the components in the PC could have issues depending on how they were able to handle the power problem.   Some could be more resilient than others.    Similar to  Crucial_AgentC's  suggestion, I would remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes to clear the settings (sometimes you may also need to use jumpers), then after replacing the battery power on the system, enter the BIOS/UEFI settings and set everything to system defaults and reboot to make sure they are enabled.   Its possible some of these settings may have become changed or corrupted by the old power supply.

Since it appears your power supply caused some damage to your system you will want to be careful.   You may be tempted to test your RAM and other components in another PC, but be very careful as those components could transfer damage to the other working system.   I've personally experience this myself.

If you are able to sort this all out, I would suggest running a system stress test such as Prime95 (use the Torture Test mode/option).   This will stress pretty much every major aspect of your system.

Good luck.