Compatibility of 2G chip with (ancient) Toshiba netbook

SOLVED
Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

Compatibility of 2G chip with (ancient) Toshiba netbook

Hi,

I have inherited a Toshiba NB305-N440BL netbook.  It's from 2010 but the 'restore to factory settings' option worked just fine.  Windows Updates ran long but eventually finished.  So, now I'm here to upgrade the original 1G chip to a 2G chip.  (There is only one slot.)

The original chip says:

Samsung 1GB 1Rx8 PC3-8500S-07-10-ZZZ

M471B2873FHS-CF8 1019

Crucial search recommends http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/nb305-n440bl/CT5623744 which lists itself as:

DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V

Now, here's the fun part!  I have dug up old postings on various tech fora, and they all say that this netbook is notoriously finicky about what it will or won't accept.  And, sure enough, the Crucial part named above has a single customer comment on it... a failure.  (There is a chip for sale at an Amazon store that also claims compatibility and its PC3-8500S rating sounds comforting, anyway.)

So... can anybody tell me why the Crucial recommendation is or isn't right?

Thank you for any guidance.

Jeff

6 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Compatibility of 2G chip with (ancient) Toshiba netbook

If you purchase an item from Crucial using either their Crucial Advisor tool or Crucial Scanner software, I believe they will guarantee it is compatible by allowing a return (double check their policy to be certain).    Looking at the tech specs from Toshiba,  it shows the memory works at  667MHz  which would be  PC3-5300.   Since they have a lot of similar models, this could be where the issues arise from the forums & even Crucial.   It is unusual to see a Crucial recommendation so far from the default memory installation you list.  Going to the higher speeds also causes some other timings (such as the CL spec)  to change which usually gets slower (higher CL value) and these other timings can be a problem since manufacturers like Toshiba don't really document them for us as end users.   It is also unusual the Toshiba specs are so far off from what you already have installed & working (unless I referenced the wrong system).

Personally after looking over the technical specifications of this netbook, I would suggest you just recycle this laptop.   Between the 1.6GHz Atom CPU and the 2GB memory limit (which is shared with the video memory) this must perform very badly.   Even just browsing the web these days requires about 4GB of memory for a decent experience due to the sandboxing the browsers now employ.   (Recently I've used 2GB & 3GB Linux systems (where the OS only used 250MB) on much more powerful hardware and the internet browsing experience was painful.  4GB seems to be the sweet spot.)

Kilobyte Kid

Hi HWTech,

Thanks for responding.

Your last point first... if this were my machine, it would be in the recycle bin already.  It is, however, my partner's machine and he wants to give it a fling.  So, it is my husbandly responsibility to make the best of it.  It's been wiped, the OS updated, I've got an extra A/V license to put on it, and it needs a chip.  (No, I'm not spending on an SSD until he says he really wants to keep using it....)

Back to specs:  I think you found the right spec.  Toshiba, et al., are notoriously sloppy about documenting what they do so the mess doesn't surprise me;  yet I still have to plow through it somehow.  My uneducated hunch is to match the speed of the chip that's in there now (PC3-8500S).  We know that works, even if it steps it down internally.  But I like your idea to run the scanner on it.

Jeff

Kilobyte Kid

OK, I ran the scan: 656B70E331D926C3

It confirmed the machine as NB305-N440BL and recommended the same chip and SSDs.

Kilobyte Kid

I'm going to buy the 2G chip and let the guarantee cover me.  Analysis paralysis don't help nobody.

I'll also pickup a 4G chip for an Inspiron that I'm using.

Kilobyte Kid

It works.  The little boat anchor swims a bit faster.  Thanks, Crucial and thanks, HWTech for reminding me about the guarantee.

Kilobyte Kid

And the uncontroversial 4G chip works fine, too.