Compatible RAM reported as not compatible by Crucial for my X470 Taichi / Ryzen 2700X system

SOLVED
Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

Compatible RAM reported as not compatible by Crucial for my X470 Taichi / Ryzen 2700X system

I am building a computer composed of an ASRock X470 Taichi motherboard and a Ryzen 2700X CPU. Both of them support ECC memories (ECC is a requirement).

ASRock reports that Crucial the CT8G4WFD824A (8 GB ECC UDIMM) memory module is compatible with the X470 Taichi (it is in the QVL list with ECC support) but Crucial reports it is not.

Here is the french link since it not referenced anymore on the US site:

http://www.crucial.fr/fra/fr/ct8g4wfd824a

So who should I trust : ASRock or Crucial ?

Unfortunately, the CT8G4WFD824A is not available anymore so I would like to buy the 16 GB version for my X470 Taichi:

http://www.crucial.com/Product2_10151_10151_640501_-1____

Could you confirm that it will work with ECC active on my system ?

4 Replies
Community Manager

Re: Compatible RAM reported as not compatible by Crucial for my X470 Taichi / Ryzen 2700X system

@guista I am sorry for the delay in reply. I pulled up your system and it does not look like we list ECC parts for your system. However, I did pull up your motherboard specifications and do see it can utilize ECC parts. It may just be we no longer sell parts that are ECC and compatible with your system. For example, CT8G4WFD824A is EOL. If ASRock does list these parts on their specifications it does appear that they would be compatible. I would just advise purchasing these modules from a vendor with a good return policy in case you run into any issue. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Compatible RAM reported as not compatible by Crucial for my X470 Taichi / Ryzen 2700X system

> I pulled up your system and it does not look like we list ECC parts for your system.
> However, I did pull up your motherboard specifications and do see it can utilize ECC parts.
> It may just be we no longer sell parts that are ECC and compatible with your system.

The X470 ECC motherboards are very recent (April 2018) so I suppose all the memory tests were not yet performed for these systems.

Generally, the motherboard compatibility lists seldomly matches the memory compatibility lists.
I also asked ASRock and they replied that was probably because they did not check any other ECC modules yet.
They plan to test the CT16G4WFD824A and they will let me know.

> For example, CT8G4WFD824A is EOL.

> I would just advise purchasing these modules from a vendor with a good return policy in case you run into any issue.
> Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Unfortunately, I have no way to get the CT8G4WFD824A from a serious reseller from France where I live (because as you said it's EOL).
The closest module I can buy from France in terms of specifications is the 16 GB one (CT16G4WFD824A) so I am pretty sure it should work.
The specs are the same as the CT8G4WFD824A except for the capacity which is 16GB instead of 8GB.

Because I am curious and very interested about these points:

• How to you build your system/memory compatibility list ?
  • Do the motherboard brands give you some information about it ?
  • Do you deduce the compatibility theorically from the motherboard specifications ?
  • Do you test the motherboards yourself (I suppose it is not possible to test all the combinations) ?

Regards and thanks for helping me.

Community Manager

@guista

• How to you build your system/memory compatibility list ? We have engineers that test RAM with motherboards and we do work directly with motherboard manufactures for specications. 
  • Do the motherboard brands give you some information about it ? Yes, they do.
  • Do you deduce the compatibility theorically from the motherboard specifications ? Yes, in your case I specify the compatability by the motherboard specifications.
  • Do you test the motherboards yourself (I suppose it is not possible to test all the combinations) ? Crucial/Micron engineers do the testing. 

BTW yes, you are correct since your system utilizes 16GB modules a 16GB module with the same specifications as the 8GB module should work. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Perfect.

So I will purchase the 16 GB version.

Thanks very much for your help and answers.