Computer wont turn on when adding memory, but will if replace old mem.

Bit Baby

Computer wont turn on when adding memory, but will if replace old mem.

I have an Acer 704g desktop. However, it's basically a laptop in a desktop case. The computer came with a 4g Kingston stick, can take 8g. I got a stick of crucial 4gb ddr3l - 1600 sodimm. (ctf1264bf150b) When I add the stick, the unit will not power up.the CPU fan does come on. If I replace the old stick with the new it will power up fine. If I add the old stick in the second slot same issue. Can anyone give me and idea how to fix, or am I stuck? I am not opposed to buying a second crucial stick. I'm worried the power supply just can't handle it. It's only good to 85w.

1 Reply
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Computer wont turn on when adding memory, but will if replace old mem.

Hello nskeeter99,

Thank you for your question.

First of all, I’m sorry the new memory is not working next to the older memory module.  As the new one works on its own, we know it’s not a faulty memory module.  This points to a compatibility issue between the two memory modules.

This is most likely down to a speed issue as both memory modules could be different speeds.  To check this, can you look at the original memory module.  On the sticker there will be something that says PC-5300 or 1333MHz, can you check what it says and let me know?

I have a feeling it is down to the memory speed.  We no longer provide 1333MHz memory so you would have a couple of different options.  You could order a second new memory module or you can return the Crucial one and try and find a 1333Mhz memory module to be compatible with your existing memory.

If you do have any other questions at all, please don’t hesitate to ask.

John  

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service