Dell Inspiron 15 (5566) laptop DDR4 RAM Upgrade Questions & Advice Needed

Bit Baby

Dell Inspiron 15 (5566) laptop DDR4 RAM Upgrade Questions & Advice Needed

I just bought a Dell Inspiron 15 (5566) laptop. It came with 6GB DDR4 RAM and is (according to Crucial) expandable to 16GB. I want to increase RAM but want the best bang for the buck (i.e. i don't think I want to spend $125, I only paid $285 for the laptop new). What's my best option? I think it has a 4GB and a 2GB. Also, I'm a novice at this, please help. Thanks.

1 Reply
Community Manager

Re: Dell Inspiron 15 (5566) laptop DDR4 RAM Upgrade Questions & Advice Needed

Hello James,

Thank you for your questions.  You're correct in saying this model can take up to 16GB of memory in total.  You do have a few different options available.  

How much memory you need really depends on what you're using the system for.  If you're using memory heavy software like Photoshop, graphic design and so on then the more memory the better.  If it is day to day use, you may not have to go up to 16GB.  

Your system will currently have a 4GB and a 2GB installed as you said.  The options you have available are replacing any of them with a larger module, for example exchange the 2GB for another 4GB and take your model to 8GB.  This should be perfectly fine for normal use of your computer. 

You can see all the compatible upgrades on our website here: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Dell/inspiron-15-%285566%29 

We do also have a handly installation video for laptop systems.  You can see that on our YouTube page here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dh-kVbe11Y 

If you do have any other questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask.  

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?