HP Probook 4740S RAM UPGRADE 8GB to 16GB

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

Re: HP Probook 4740S RAM UPGRADE 8GB to 16GB using i7 3632Q

Hi eyery body, I have probook 4740s with i5-2450M CPU. Currently my computer has 4gb ram. I want to know if I use 8gb ram for the second slot??, so that I will have 12gb ram.

Kilobyte Kid

Re: HP Probook 4740S RAM UPGRADE 8GB to 16GB using i7 3632QM

Hi eyery body, I have probook 4740s with i5-2450M CPU. Currently my computer has 4gb ram. I want to know if I use 8gb ram for the second slot??, so that I will have 12gb ram.

Community Manager

Hello mojtaba12,

Thank you for your question.  I have had a look in to that model for you.  It can support 16GB of memory over two memory slots. 

This means it will be perfectly fine to add a single 8GB module next to your existing memory module.  You can see all the compatible memory modules that are compatible with your model on our website here: http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/compatible-upgrade-for//probook-4740s

The single 8GB module that you would use is: http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/probook-4740s/CT3551605

We also have a great guides and support section on our website that you can see here: http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/support

If you do have any other questions at all, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

thank you for your reply

it it beeter to use tow rams with identical capacity i mean 2x 4gb rams or you would say, using 4gb and 8gb rams resulting 12gb ram is more performant.

which case is better for the performance? 

Community Manager

@mojtaba12 Your system does run in dual channel, so a matched pair runs about 10 percent better than a mismatched pair of RAM. That being said you would notice more a difference with 12GB of RAM then 8GB, so it would make more sense to add the single 8GB RAM module. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Re: HP Probook 4740S RAM UPGRADE 8GB to 16GB using i5 3230M @ 2.60 GHz

[ Edited ]

@Crucial_YogiH and everyone could help. I just purchased an additional 8 GB RAM module Crucial CT 102464BF160B and it perfectly works if I just use it by itself. Whenever I add another RAM module into the other slot, the OS won't start (it just freezes). These latter RAM modules are perfectly working if used by themselves. Here I have read that my HP Probook 4740s can be upgraded to 16 GB of RAM, but mine refuses to override 8 GB of RAM.
The question is: can my HP probook 4740s support more than 8 GB of RAM? Do I need to change whatsoever settings in BIOS? Any suggestions?
My Processor specs are: Intel Core i5 3230M CPU @ 2.60 GHz.
Thanks in advance, Giorgio

Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: HP Probook 4740S RAM UPGRADE 8GB to 16GB using i5 3230M @ 2.60 GHz

@giorgio_c Thanks for your message. It does look like your processor can utilize 16GB of RAM, so it's not a limitation with it. I would advise updating your BIOS. It could be that your system needs a BIOS update and that could solve the issue. The system is from 2012, so if it hasn't been updated since then it could be the problem. Please let us know if you experience any other issues or if you have any other questions. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

Want to be a Super User?