How do I know what memory I need?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Bit Baby

How do I know what memory I need?

I have an HP a6700y desktop and would like to upgrade but I have no idea what to buy...

3 Replies
Kilobyte Kid

Re: How do I know what memory I need?

[ Edited ]

DISCLAIMER: not a Crucial employee.

HP a6700y desktop's motherboard is ECS MCP61PM-HM. It has 4 slots and supports up to 8GB of DDR2 (PC2-5300 or PC2-6400).
You currently have 4GB PC2-6400 installed. But I'm not sure whether it's 2 sticks 2GB each or 4 sticks 1GB each. Let's hope for the former. You should use Crucial system scan or just open the case to see slots. If your OS is Windows 10, you can also open task manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) and switch to Performance tab, then Memory tab. At the bottom there should be information about used slots.
If it's 2 x 2GB, buy the same kit and have 8GB. If it's 4 x 1GB, I would go this way: buy 4 x 2GB, remove all installed RAM and install new.

Please also wait for Crucial staff reply, though it may take some time.

Community Manager

@Wildbil7  selecadm is correct about the max for your system and your current amount of RAM. If you are hoping to add to existing RAM it would be best to run our system scanner in order to determine how your current RAM is installed. I would also note that depending on your operating system your system may not be able to utilize more than 3 to 3.5GB of RAM. You will want to ensure that you have a 64 bit operating system prior to installing. Available upgrades for your system can be found here

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

Thanks