Increased RAM

SOLVED
Bit Baby

Increased RAM

It's been awhile since I've been inside my computers; for DDR3L Ram, do I have to install RAM modules in pairs or can I do a single module install; i.e. remove the 4G currently installed and replace with an 8G mod; can I leave the 4G installed and fill 2nd slot with an 8G for 12G total.  If I do the 12G what is the order for amt in 1 & 2 slot?

6 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Increased RAM

Hello Newerr5,

Thank you for your questions.

In some systems it does need matching memory to be compatible.  This is not all systems and I would need to know the make and model of your computer before I could give the best advise.

If you confirm the make and model of your computer, I will send the recommended links and also the installation guides.  It would also be great if you could confirm what country you’re based in.  This is so I am sending the correct links for your country.  If you do have any other questions at all, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

I have same question for ACER V5-472-6893 with 8G RAM installed. I am in Canada.

Community Manager

@tsalda Thanks for contacting us today.  Your system only has one slot available for RAM as one memory module is soldered to the board. In your case you have to install a single memory module. The part you would need can be found here

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

Can I install a 12G module then? Do you have such an "animal"??
Bit Baby

Can I install a 12G module then and you have such an "animal"??
Community Manager

Hello tsalda, 

Thank you for your reply.  You would not be able to find a 12GB memory module.  Generally if a system can support 12GB over 1 memory slot then it means there is a 4GB module that is attached to the motherboard that can't be removed.  It looks like that is the case with your model.   This means that if you add an 8GB module as recommended, it will take you to the maximum of 12GB. 

I have been unable to find an installation guide for that specific module.  I would recommend that you contact Acer directly who can look in to this further for you.  If you do have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. 

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

Want to be a Super User?