Is having 48GB memory okay?

Bit Baby

Is having 48GB memory okay?

Hi, I just bought a Lenovo Legion Y920, which comes with 16GB RAM, max capacity 64GB. Per my conversation with a Crucial rep, I bought two 16GB DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DR x8 Unbuffered SODIMM 260-Pin Memory sticks.

I installed them before ever turning on the laptop and when I tried to boot up for the first time, it didn't work. It was definitely a memory-related issue (black screen, refusing to boot properly). As soon as I removed the two extra memory sticks, it booted up fine.

My question is, is there a problem with this particular type of memory being used as 3x16GB? Does it have to be installed in matched pairs? The Crucial rep assured me that it would be fine to add the two 16GB sticks to the 16GB Lenovo already included but I'm wondering if they're wrong and if I can only use 32GB or 64GB, not 48GB.

Any advice? Thanks!

1 Reply
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Is having 48GB memory okay?

@rsnyc Thanks for contacting us today. I am sorry for the issues that you experienced with installing your RAM. We would be happy to look into this issue further for you. What is the full part number of the memory you purchased? It will be on the label and will be something like CT16G4SFD824A.C16FH. Have you tried installing each new memory module one at a time? Please do this if you haven't yet. This will help us determine if it's one faulty memory causing the issue. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?