Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Kilobyte Kid
destrad3

Lenovo G505 memory upgrade

Hi everyone,

This is my first time upgrading RAM in a computer/laptop so please bear with me as I try to figure this out.  In a nutshell, I'm just trying to figure out of the RAM I purchased for my laptop is compatible with the stock RAM already installed.

System Specs:

Lenovo G505, running Windows 8 64-bit

CPU: AMD E1 2100 APU with Radeon HD Graphics (1.00 GHz)

Stock RAM (slot 0): DDR3-665 (1330) MHz , Single Channel

(Note: above info was pulled from MaxxMem)

I purchased the following 4 gig stick from Crucial: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LDLV6S/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

The following link is a crucial system scan AFTER I installed the above linked memory: http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/viewscanbyid.aspx?id=02BDE57231D926C3

My question is... is there any reason why my laptop seemed slower when I first booted it with the new RAM?  After a day of use it seems to be ok, but not necessarily much faster.  Does the RAM I purchased need to match the DDR3 PC3-12800 of the stock RAM?  My apologies if I included more information than necessary... thanks in advance.

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Re: Lenovo G505 memory upgrade

[ Edited ]
in reply to destrad3

Hi destrad3,

Thanks for your question.

I have had a look in to this for you and I can confirm that the memory you have ordered is guaranteed to be compatible with your system.  The system scanner also shows the full 8GB as being installed and picked up by the system.

When you install memory the first boot up can sometimes take longer than usual.  The reason for this is that your BIOS detects a hardware change and is updating that you now have new memory modules installed.  You will notice the difference in performance form your system when you have more programs open at once.

RAM allows you to have more active programs open without your system having to struggle or slow down to use them.  If you're system is not running a lot of programs at once you may not notice it right away through everyday use. 

If you do have any other questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask and I would be more than happy to help. 

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Our Latest Posts