Listed as compatible (DDR4-2400-ECC) actually not working on ASUS P10S WS (as of latest UEFI 0601)

Kilobyte Kid

Listed as compatible (DDR4-2400-ECC) actually not working on ASUS P10S WS (as of latest UEFI 0601)

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble setting up a system (motherboard ASUS P10S WS, latest public UEFI version 0601 installed). Only the motherboard, CPU and
memory is installed, nothing else.

Components:

- ASUS P10S WS motherboard, UEFI 0601
- CPU: Xeon E3-1275 v5
- RAM: 4 x Crucial DIMM 16GB, DDR4-2400, CL17, ECC (CT16G4WFD824A), running at 2133 MHz (not changeable in UEFI)
- PSU: Seasonic G-450, Modular 80+ Gold

Issue: At the first boot of the system after a CMOS reset everything is starting up fine and I can enter the UEFI.

However a reboot after that is not possible, Q code error 26 is displayed via diagnostic LEDs and I do not get a display signal (error code stands for "Memory Initialization").

Important note: There are no changes made in the UEFI.

Example:

1) CMOS reset
2) Press power button
3) Motherboard boots and enters UEFI
4) Without any changes in settings, press reset button
5) No boot, Q code error 26

I've already updated to the latest UEFI version (0601), no changes. In total I have four identical memory modules, I've tried each one individually in each memory slot.

I verified that the CPU, memory modules and PSU are working without any fault with a different C236 motherboard (Supermicro X11SAE-M), also running the memory at 2133 MHz.

A temporary solution for this issue is the "MemOK" button on the motherboard after a failed boot attempt with error 26 but I do not wish to open the case to access this button each time I reset the UEFI to defaults for some reason. Also this needs to be done if the system was unplugged from the wall socket for some time.

I already contacted ASUS tech support that advised me to replace the motherboard. After I received a new one (different serial number) through my dealer the issue remains exactly the same.

I'm now reaching out to Crucial since on your website these memory modules are listed to compatible (!) with the ASUS P10S WS - which they are not at this point.

http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/p10s-ws/CT8363358

I do not have the feeling that the local ASUS end customer tech support is taking this issue seriously (mostly getting text template responses with things that have already been ruled out) and I'm hoping that you as a memory module manufacturer have a more direct "line" to the ASUS UEFI development department, so that this issue can hopefully be addressed with a future UEFI update.

PS: I purchased DDR4-2400-ECC memory to be able to use it in future configurations with post-Skylake CPUs that will change the standard memory frequency to 2400 MHz.

Thank you very much for your efforts!

Regards

7 Replies
Community Manager

Re: Listed as compatible (DDR4-2400-ECC) actually not working on ASUS P10S WS (as of latest UEFI ...

Hi

I am sorry for the issues that you have experienced with your memory. At this time I think it may be best for you to contact our tech support department directly, so that we can troubleshoot more in depth. Our contact information can be found in my signature. I apologize for the inconvenience.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Listed as compatible (DDR4-2400-ECC) actually not working on ASUS P10S WS (as of latest UEFI ...

[ Edited ]

I contacted tech support but my hopes are not that high:

- No new ideas about how to fix the issue

- The employee told me that since I myself verified that the memory itself is not faulty there won't be anything done to resolve the issue since (according to him) they do not have direct contact with ASUS.

- The only thing happening is that a Crucial testing team is recreating the issue and depending on the outcome the memory will be removed from Crucial's compatibilty list for that motherboard.

I guess it's nice that faulty information will eventually be corrected but I am a little baffled about the statement that there is no communication with a major motherboard manufacturer since it would be in Crucial's best interest to resolve this to increase the potential customer base.

Bit Baby

@MrFlppy I'm having the same issue as well, with the same motherboard and RAM that you have. Did you ever get a resolution to this or find some compatible RAM?

Bit Baby

Re: Listed as compatible (DDR4-2400-ECC) actually not working on ASUS P10S WS (as of latest UEFI 060

Uggg.   I have exactly the same setup as you and have exactly the same problem with the 2400-ECC memory.  It's October (when I ordered the memory) and Crucial still lists this as compatible with the P10S WS.  Asus has exactly one qualified memory product per DIMM size which is ridiculous, but did you find a solution that works with this motherboard?

Bit Baby

Re: Listed as compatible (DDR4-2400-ECC) actually not working on ASUS P10S WS (as of latest UEFI 060

Good news for those searching for a solution to the same problem!  A firmware update to the latest available for the P10S WS  will solve this problem.  I was afraid to update the firmware with the flakey memory situation but I decided to give it shot since there appeared to be no other solution to the problem.

Bit Baby

Re: Listed as compatible (DDR4-2400-ECC) actually not working on ASUS P10S WS

[ Edited ]

I too was unable to boot an Asus P10S WS motherboard with Crucial DDR4-2400-ECC memory.   I used the motherboard's FlashBack feature to successfully update the BIOS to version 3003 using no installed memory and am now able to boot with 64GB installed.

Community Manager

Re: Listed as compatible (DDR4-2400-ECC) actually not working on ASUS P10S WS

@jhmpub Thanks for letting us know that this worked for you. We appreciate the feedback. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service