Memory Speed of Dell Precision Mobile Workstation - 2666 or 2667 MT/s ???

SOLVED
Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

Memory Speed of Dell Precision Mobile Workstation - 2666 or 2667 MT/s ???

I have ordered a new Dell Precision 7720 Mobile workstation with 16Gb of 2667 DDR4 memory installed (2 x 8gb modules) which leaves two slots for memory free.  When I check the Crucial website it shows that there are 2 x 16Gb of 2666 modules that would be compatible...   Why does Dell list its memory as being 2667 speed and Crucial shows theirs as 2666 MT/s speeds?  More importantly, will adding the Crucial memory work correctly?  I am not sure how much difference in performance it will make by increasing the memory capacity from 16Gb to 48Gb... Thanks for any insights.

2 Replies
Community Manager

Re: Memory Speed of Dell Precision Mobile Workstation - 2666 or 2667 MT/s ???

@CortezEd Thanks for your question. The difference in the speed is just a rounding difference by the memory manufacturer. The memory is identical speed. Adding any RAM you see on the recommend upgrade list for your system are guaranteed to be compatible. It will depend on the processes you run as to what difference in speed you will notice by upgrading from 16GB to 48GB of memory. In some systems you would not notice as you may not even touch the max usage of the 16GB of RAM and 48GB is quite a lot of RAM. I would suggest looking at memory usage in task manager to see how much RAM is being used.  Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Memory Speed of Dell Precision Mobile Workstation - 2666 or 2667 MT/s ???

Thanks for this helpful information YogiH...