05-20-2017 12:37 PM
I used the CrucialScan.exe program to determine the capable memory.
Received the memory and installed in the open slot with no problem.
BUT when the machine was restarted Windows System reported:
Installed RAM: 8.00 GB (3.41 GB usable)
I checked the BIOS settings and there, 8gig was reported.
I searched Windows 10 and found, Windows Memory Diagnostic. Did the reboot. It scanned both banks of 4 GB and afterwards reported, No Memory Problems found.
Still... seems only the original 4 gig of memory is usable. Must be some setting somewhere to unlock this new memory. Any advice appreciated.
Solved! Go to Solution.
05-23-2017 11:19 AM
@townsend It sounds like Windows memory lock is limiting the amount of memory Windows can see. To check this please follow these steps:
1. Click on Start.
2. Type MSCONFIG in Search and click OK.
3. This will open the System Configuration Utility. Click on the BOOT tab.
4. Click on the Advanced Options... button
5. If the /MAXMEM= box is checked, please uncheck it.
6. If it isn’t already checked, check it now and enter your total amount of memory in MB (e.g. 8192 for 8GB) and click OK.
Please let us know if we can offer additional assistance or advice.
05-23-2017 03:29 PM - edited 05-23-2017 03:29 PM
@townsend That's great. I am glad that fixed the problem and that you are noticing the speed difference new RAM makes. Thanks for the update.