My memory is showing less than is installed

Community Manager

My memory is showing less than is installed

[ Edited ]

What we need to establish in these cases is if this is caused by a system limitation, an operating system limitation or a problem with the memory itself.

• To check if the memory is causing the problem, please try each new memory module on its own, one at a time, in the system.

• If a memory module is not working on its own, ensure it is fully seated in the slot. In a laptop, no more than 1mm of the gold connector pins should be visible. A desktop can take up to 30lb of pressure for memory to be installed correctly. 

• If the module(s) work on their own, try them together again ensuring they are fully clipped into the slots. In a laptop, no more than 1mm of the gold connector pins should be visible. A desktop can take up to 30lb of pressure for memory to be installed correctly. 

• If the full amount still is not detected, Check that your system can support the amount of memory you have ordered.  You can do this by checking your manufacturer and model number on the System Selector or by running the Crucial System Scanner.

• Lastly, your operating system may be limiting the amount of memory that is picked up. A 32-bit version of Windows will only see and support between 3-3.5GB of memory.

You can check if your system is 32-bit or 64-bit by using the following steps.

1. Right click on the Computer Icon which is located in the Start Menu.
  2. From the list select properties.
  3. The Windows System Information window will open and you can see what version you have listed under system type.

You can see a full list of what each operating system will support on the Crucial Knowledge Base

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?