RAM that was said to be compatible is not working

Kilobyte Kid

RAM that was said to be compatible is not working

Hi there,

This is the scan that I did: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/scanview/5C361BA531D926C3

It clearly says the RAM type that can be added to my computer. I wanted to max it to 16 so I got the pack of 2x 8GB.

However, I just got them, put them in... and nothing. I try to start up and it won't work.

So I did what was suggested in the first pinned post. I tried each 8gb in each slot individually, absolutely nothing. I even tried each with the RAM my laptop came with, to see if maybe it would work on the 4GB default and show if an 8GB wasn't working.

In every single combination, with the new RAM, nothing will work.

I'm a bit stumped. The only thing different is the RAM it came with, has 8 total black chips on it. (I'm not sure of the technical name, but they're the black blocks on the RAM.) The new 8GB RAM each have 16 black chips. I had tried an older RAM stick I had from a similar Toshiba and it also did not work when it should have, and also had 16 blocks. I ordered the RAM from Crucial in the 2 pack because it showed in pictures, they had 8 blocks on each stick but when arrived it's not the same.

I'm not sure if that actually can make a difference, since Crucial shows RAM with both depictions that should be working in my machine. I've tried to look up and see if there's any difference, but I can't.

Just a bit bothered as well since I even got it expedited for extra. Anyone have any ideas or is there anything else I should try? Is it possible the sticks are just faulty, or did I somehow get the wrong thing?

3 Replies
Community Manager

Re: RAM that was said to be compatible is not working

Thanks for contacting us. I am sorry for the issues you've experienced with your RAM. It appears there are a few 16GB upgrades available for your system. Which one did you purchase? Thanks in advance. This will help me determine the next steps for troubleshooting your system.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

Thank you for a response.

I ordered:

Crucial 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) DDR3L-1600 SODIMM
CT6295719

as it's listed. I actually already initiated a return and replacement, since it does not show as the picture does. I got a bit worried waiting would leave me high and dry unable to return it.

HERE - is what I was shown I was ordering. As you can see, each stick has 4 black chips on each side. 1 stick has a total of 8.

What I recieved appears like this however (not this exact one I believe, but with 8 chips on each side. Picture may not be the exact model, but shows the basic physical difference). It was still labeled 8GB each.: HERE

My Toshiba Satellite C55D-B5219 has not yet been modified in any way from how it was received new.

(edited to fix a link)

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi chocolatepie,

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, those photos can be generic. The part should be compatible with the system, however. We aren't currently selling a 8GB module (or 16GB kit) with 4 chips per each side.  Your replacement you will receive will have 16 chips total, also. I would advise you try it out as it could be an issue with the extension you received originally.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service