RAM upgrade for Optiplex 780

Kilobyte Kid

RAM upgrade for Optiplex 780

Hey All,

I have an Dell Optiplex 780 that I'm trying to upgrade the RAM after upgrading to Windows 7 64 bit. When I install the 4 2G sticks of CT25664BA160BA it won't boot. This post says that it's the correct memory for a 780 SFF

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-memory-for-PC-systems/Upgrade-memory-for-DELL-Optiplex-780-SFF/t...

but the Crucial Advisor Tool lists CT5509173 along with some others. I understand if the tool is recommending something newer, but that shouldn't affect previous memory's compatibility. The CT25664BA160BA RAM was ordered some time ago. This is the last computer to be upgraded in long upgrade project. Please advise.

Regards,

3 Replies
Community Manager

Re: RAM upgrade for Optiplex 780

Hi drreid,

Thanks for contacting us today. It does appear that you have the correct memory for the system. CT5509173 is identical to CT25664BA160BA. We only use the part number CT5509173 internally to guarantee the compatibility of the  RAM with your Dell Optiplex 780. I would advise contacting us directly to further troubleshoot this issue. Our contact info can be found in my signature.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Bit Baby

Hello..

I have an idea with which your system amy start booting without making any more issues:

• Restart the system.
  • When you see the Dell splash screen, Press F2 to load the BIOS.
  • The System Information screen of the BIOS will display which version is installed. Please refer to the Dell Support
  • Site to check if this is the latest version.
  • If you need to install the latest version, please download the BIOS on another system and save it to a USB memory stick.
  • Once the BIOS has been updated on the failing system, access the BIOS again and make sure the Hard Drive is recognized. This can be seen in the System Information screen

I hope it can help you. If not ? Then check Dell Optiplex 780 Manual- guideusermanual.com/product-name-optiplex-780-manual&po=344815&lang=Englishfor your help. 

Highlighted
Community Manager

@qagyz Thanks for your reply to this message and offering up some suggestions for resolving the issue! Welcome to the Crucial Community. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service