Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Kilobyte Kid
niekpl
Accepted Solution

Sony Vaio VPCF13C5E not booting with new memory

I ordered this set of memory for my Sony Vaio VPCF13C5E: http://www.crucial.com/eu/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=18B6344BA5CA7304 after running the systemscanner on Crucial.com.

I installed the new modules and Windows 7 won't boot. I tried resetting the BIOS and also checked if had the last BIOS update installed. Also tried 1 of the 2 modules, still the same issue. When I put the 2 old modules (2x 2GB) back it works fine.

I went online and did some research and came across this forum post: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=627888.

The problem they describe there has to do with the density of the RAM. The RAM modules I received have 8 chips (512mb each). My original 2GB modules have 16 chips (128mb each). I think my system can't handle the 512mb chips on the RAM module I received.

My girlfriend has a sony Vaio VPCEH3J1E with a 4GB RAM module (with 16*256MB). I tried that module combined with my own 2GB (16*128MB) and it works fine in my own laptop.

So can I return RAM I received and get a replacement with 16*256mb chips on it? Is that even available?

Gr Niek (I'm not a native english speaker, so sorry for any spelling mistakes!)

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Re: Sony Vaio VPCF13C5E not booting with new memory

in reply to niekpl

Hi niekpl,

First of all I'm sorry to hear that you have had problems with your memory upgrade.

I have looked through your post and it does sound like it's a density issue that's causing your problems.  Some systems only like memory that has a certain amount of black memory chips on them.  It's a very rare problem but it can happen with some models.

We would be more than happy to arrange an exchange for you for the 16 chip version of this memory.  Please contact our customer support team directly HERE who will arrange the exchange for you. 

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid
niekpl

Re: Sony Vaio VPCF13C5E not booting with new memory

in reply to Crucial_Junket

Thx for your quick reply! Already contacted customer support.

Our Latest Posts