Tactical together with Tactical LP

Bit Baby

Tactical together with Tactical LP

Hi,

I've been running

Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 LP BLT2C4G3D1608ET3LX0CEU

on MSI B85-G41 PC Mate - Intel B85

and bought Crucial 8GB KIT DDR3 1600MHz CL8 Ballistix Tactical 

Initial boot after first installation (of the new RAM) succeeded at first but the screen was black

Boot after re-installation worked and PC worked fine for the rest of the day, RAM got recognized and even apps that needed to utilize the extended memory worked

Next day the PC kept trying to start but "died" immediately each time (it lightened up, made a booting up sound but after a second shut down, and it itself kept repeating this over and over till manually turned off)

After removing the new memory it started to work fine again

Then I noticed they have a different voltage ... could this be the cause?

The current LP ones are 1.35V and new ones are 1.5V. Probably all other forums/sites recommend not mixing the voltages, I've found here a topic saying otherwise, but I think those RAMs supported both while LP is probably 1.35V only. LP doesn't seem to be produced anymore : /

If it is OK in this case, do I need to bump it to 1.5?

Thank you!

1 Reply
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Tactical together with Tactical LP

For testing purposes set the memory settings in the BIOS/UEFI settings to auto.

Also disable Dual Channel Mode.  I found this in the User Guide for your motherboard:   "To ensure system stability, memory modules must be of the same type and density
in Dual-Channel mode."

Is your system firmware up to date?

You could also try running a memory test.   Windows 7/8/10 has a built-in memory test which can be accessed from the Windows Advanced Boot Menu during boot (press F8 just before Windows loads).   With Windows 10 you may have to do a full restart/shutdown by holding the shift key while clicking restart/shutdown.  It can also be accessed from within Windows.  Memtest86 is also another option.

You can also contact Crucial Support directly regarding the mixed voltages as that can vary with systems.  That might also be a question you want to contact MSI about as well.