Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Kilobyte Kid
shnykeez

Toshiba Satellite L555-S7008 Ram compatibility

[ Edited ]

Scanner: http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/viewscanbyid.aspx?id=0F4C81DC31D926C3

EDIT 1: So it looks like the accessories page no longer offers this module like it was a few hours ago,

http://www.toshiba.com/us/accessories/Memory/Computer/1600MHz/PA5104U-1M4G

Hello and thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
I have a "Toshiba Satellite L555-S7008" and I'm interested in upgrading the ram in it to the max 8GB (2x4GB)
I'm pretty tech savvy so my question has to do with the speed and timings of compatible ram for this laptop. For reference I've attached CPUz screenshots of my current timings with the stock 4GB modules. In the stock BIOS settings there doesn't appear to be any timing settings like there are on my aftermarket desktop motherboards. I have flashed the BIOS to the most recent version 1.9 awhile back.

In the Toshiba website http://www.toshiba.com/us/computers/laptops/satellite/L550/L555-S7008 it mentions "4GB DDR3 1600MHz memory" and furthermore if you select the "additional accessories" link and narrow it down to "memory" one of the offerings is "Toshiba PC3L-12800 DDR3/DDR3L-1600MHz Computer Memory Module - 4GB" this leads me to believe that I may in fact be able to use something better than your scanner tools recommended "8GB Kit (4GBx2), 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600" upgrade.

HOWEVER I also did some research on the "Mobile Intel® HM55 Express Chipset" and "Intel® Core™ i5-430M processor" and discovered this Intel spec sheet http://ark.intel.com/products/43537/Intel-Core-i5-430M-Processor-3M-Cache-2_26-GHz which seems to says "Memory Types - DDR3-800/1066" does that mean that the best it can handle is 1066?

So my question would be is there in fact faster compatible ram for this system than what you recommend? What are all the ram type/timing requirements for this laptop? My screenshots do show voltage at 1.5volts while your upgrade is only 1.35volts. Is this significant? Also the recommended item shows CL=9 while my screenshots appear to show tighter timings. How significant is this? I do want the fastest possible modules that can run with good stability.

Sorry for the wall of text but I like to be thorough. This is the item I'm considering BTW http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148732

1.jpg

2.jpg

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

Re: Toshiba Satellite L555-S7008 Ram compatibility

in reply to shnykeez

Hi shnykeez,

Thank you for contacting us today. It appears that the system only has a front side bus speed of 1066mhz (I pulled that up here) and that will be the limiting factor of the speed of your RAM. If you purchase the 1600mhz RAM it would most likely clock down. We do not list that RAM as a compatible upgrade most likely because of the speed, but it could potentially be because of issues when the RAM was tested with your system. I would recommend going with the CT2332464 as you are going to be able to use what you are paying for. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid
shnykeez

[ Edited ]
in reply to Crucial_YogiH

Thank you for the reply. Perhaps you can clear up a couple last questions?

EDIT 1: I keep seeing "1.35V ultra low voltage for 3rd and 4th Gen Intel Core Processors " So I looked up my i5-430M and it is neither a 2nd, 3rd nor 4th gen but rather what they're calling "previous gen." Does this mean it will not support the 1.35v mode and will instead run only at 1.5v?

So you are saying that the fastest compatible speed my system can handle is "PC3-10600" and if I get "PC3 10666" or even "PC3-12800" the STD BIOS will just run it at "PC-10600" speeds? If this is true how then can the claim "MEMORY 4GB DDR3 1600MHz" so proudly on their site? Am I missing something?

I see the module you linked is the same recommended one as the scanner. It shows "1.35v" and what I have now is "1.5v" I have read on other sources that the 1.35v ram is for 3rd and 4th gen Intel CPUs. I am unsure if my core i5 is a 3rd or 4th generation?  How will this impact the ram performance, timing and compatibility?

What exactly are the ram timings for your recommended module? 9-9-9-24 or 9-9-9-28

I have also read about high and low destiny modules, the stock ones I have now have these 8 ICs on each side. Is this relevant?

Here is also a picture of my actual ram slots where it does say "1.5v DDR3 STD"

2Ram.jpg

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

in reply to shnykeez

Yes, because of the Front Side Bus speed the system will only clock the memory at the 1066mhz speed. I am not sure why they are installing the 1600 mhz speed other than the fact that the RAM they are using must be compatible. The memory would just be clocking down to the 1066 mhz.

The 1.35v is the voltage that most RAM is moving to. It uses less power and exerts less heat. If your system can only run at the 1.5v then this RAM will run at the 1.5v with no issues. It is actually dual voltage memory. It’s compatible to run at either 1.35v or 1.5, whichever the system requires.

The timings for the RAM should be 9-9-9-27. These timings do not need to be set as the RAM is plug and play.

Your system does require low density memory, as it has currently. CT2332464 is a low density memory and we only list the low density memory on the system scanner page.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Our Latest Posts