Windows 10 won't boot after RAM upgrade..

Kilobyte Kid

Windows 10 won't boot after RAM upgrade..

I stayed wit a friend last week and was asked to look at her laptop to see if I could make it faster.

I checked the spec. on the Crucial website to find what RAM it takes, and how much it should accept.

The standard memory (as fitted) was 2 modules of 2GB each, and it said that the max would be 2x4Gb, so we bought 2x4Gb, DDR3L-1600 as advised.

The BIOS recognised the new RAM capacity, but Windows would not start. It automatically rebooted and tried to 'auto-repair', but displayed one of a few error codes before rebooting and repeating.

Putting the original RAM back in would allow it to start, and so I looked for help online and one suggestion was to hold the shift key down when selecting 'Shut Down", but it still wouldn't restart into the Repair environment to try any other settings or make it recognise the extra RAM.

I assume that as the BIOS recognised the new RAM, it is probably a Windows problem - but I have done the same with previous versions of Windows without a problem.

It does seem that others have had similar problems, but the answers I found didn't suggest how I could get out of the constant reboots.

6 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Windows 10 won't boot after RAM upgrade..

Remove the old memory and install only one new stick of memory to see if Windows has any problems.  Then remove that module and try the other new module by itself in the same slot.   If one works and the other does not, you may have a defective module.

If both modules behave the same way, then remove the memory and try one of the new sticks in the other slot.  This will determine if one of the slots is having a problem.

Assuming Windows had no issues before the memory upgrade and neither new module works with Windows, then you may have a compatibility issue or there may be another latent hardware issue which only manifests with the new larger memory.

Kilobyte Kid

Thanks, but I do not have access to the laptop, now. I looked at it while visiting my friend, and I am now back at home. I did try it with one of the new modules, because the shop only had one in stock, and got a similar error. But I had checked the spec on the Crucial upgrade page (looking up the model number), and have confirmed by LiveChat that the DDR3L-1600 should be compatible, and the BIOS did recognise the increased RAM. It seems more likely to me that Windows saved the original specifcation regarding how much RAM there was, and just would not recognise the change. I will try to check with Asus to verify the compatibility, and to see if the BIOS could be upgraded to cope.. I have referred to the Crucial RAM upgrade pages several times before and have never had a problem. It would be disappointing if the information was wrong, this time. (The existing BIOS does not provide any means to show or adjust CL, etc.)

Kilobyte Kid

I have the same problem.

Unfortunately, I also relied on the “system scanner” report and now then new memory I purchased doesn’t seem to be compatible with my laptop.

I don't think the system scanner is reliable.

Kilobyte Kid

I contacted Asus, and initially they asked for the serial number, but as I do not currently have it, I asked more questions, and one of the answers could be the real problaem.. They asked if the version of Windows 10 is 32-bit, which apparently does not work with more than 4Gb of RAM. They also said that if it was an incompatibility issue, it would produce an error before Windows tried to start, in POST, so I'm thinking this could be the real problem. Trust Microsoft to not provide a sensible error message for a forseable situation!

Kilobyte Kid

My laptop came with Windows 64 bit and I only installed one 4GB module but still having the same problem.

Kilobyte Kid

Try inserting the old RAM back and see if it boots up properly.