Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Bit Baby
mwsidwel

Windows 7 boot failure after memory upgrade

I purchased http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=923BA123A5CA7304 at the recomendation Crucial.com for my HP Pavilion g6-1c77nr Notebook PC.

After installing the memory I am unable to get Windows 7 to book back up. I have tried a single stick of memory and get the blue screen of death. I have tried both memory modules and get an error while booting up.

When I replace the original memory the computer boots up fine.

I ran a memory test from the BIOS and it said the memory was good.

Do I need to return the memory and get replacements?

Thanks

Mark

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

Re: Windows 7 boot failure after memory upgrade

in reply to mwsidwel

Hello Mwsidwel,

We are sorry that you have had issues with your new RAM upgrade. It sounds like it may be an issue with the density of the memory. The part that you ordered was a high density part and it appears that your system may do better with a low density memory. Please contact us here and request the low density part of CT2559795. . CT2559795 is not listed on our website but it is a low density option that is guaranteed compatible for your HP Pavilion g6-1c77nr Notebook PC. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid
nosnibord

in reply to Crucial_YogiH

Hi Crucial_YogiH,

I am getting exactly the same problem as reported by Mwisdwel.

Last week I purchased the following 8GB (4GBx2) upgrade kit for my Toshiba Portege R700-15X laptop:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=1A511BF7A5CA7304

However, Windows 7 x64 fails to boot since the install and I get a BSOD or just a blank screen before the fan goes fast and forces me to perform a hard power down.

I have tried each of the new memory modules individually, on their own, and they do the same. However, when I put my original 2GB memory back in, it boots fine once again.

Please advise.

Regards,

nosnibord

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

in reply to nosnibord

Hi nosnibord,

First of all I'm sorry to hear that you have had problems with your memory upgrade.

I have had a look at your comments and it looks to be what's known as a density issue.  That's when your system does not like memory with a certain amount of black chips on it.  The memory you have is the 8 chip high density memory, some Toshiba systems like to have the 16 chip low density version.

It is rare but it can happen with some Toshiba models.  We are more than happy to arrange an exchange for you for the 16 chip version.  To do this please contact us HERE and let them know that we have advised on the forum that it's a density issue.  We can then exchange the memory for you no problem at all which will resolve the problems you are having.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
Kilobyte Kid
nosnibord

in reply to Crucial_Junket

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I called your customer services team and the rep I spoke to said you do not sell a 16 chip low density version, so I have had to request a full refund, which is disappointing. 

Crucial_maulmod

in reply to nosnibord

Hi nosnibord,

I am really sorry about this, there appears to have been some confusion.  There is a low density version available for your model, the part number is CT2332909.  This is not available online but if you get back in touch with our Customer Service team they will be able to rearrange the exchange or just set up a new order for you for this. 

I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. 

Thanks

Maulmod, Crucial Moderator UK

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
Bit Baby
mwsidwel

in reply to Crucial_YogiH

Thanks so much for the quick reply!!!

I really appreciate it. I am going to contact Crucial today and get the new memory ordered.

On thing I would mention is that the original memory I ordered was 'recommended' by the Crucial.com upgrade wizard. I think it should probably mention that HighDensity memory may not be compatible with all Toshiba models and that LowDensity memory may be more suitable.

Either way, thanks again for the help!

MSidwell

Crucial_maulmod

in reply to mwsidwel

Hi mwsidwel,

Thanks for getting back to us, I'm glad to hear we were able to help.  Just to confirm as per YogiH's response above, the correct part number you need for your HP Pavilion is CT2559795.  It is essentially the same part as nosnibord needs for their system but the different part numbers refer to each of your specific systems. 

I appreciate what you are saying about the original part being recommended to you by our Memory Advisor tool, when we do recognize problems like this we put steps in place to ensure customers get the correct, compatible part they need first time.  The problem we face with density issues like this though is that it may not affect all models and we don't want to confuse customers with too many different options or jargon on the site.  I will certainly pass your feedback onto our lab though and we'll keep an eye on these models, making changes as need be.

Let us know if we can be of any further help.

Thanks

Maulmod, Crucial Moderator UK

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
Our Latest Posts