black screen and laptop won't turn off after RAM upgrade, on ASUS UX501

Kilobyte Kid

black screen and laptop won't turn off after RAM upgrade, on ASUS UX501

Hi,

I have an ASUS UX501, with 8 GB RAM onboard, plus another 8GB. I bought this 16 GB http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/zenbook-ux510uw/CT9246398 . After installing it, when I start my computer, the screen stays black, and it turns on immediatly when I turn it of. What could be the problem.

Thanks.

4 Replies
Community Manager

Re: black screen and laptop won't turn off after RAM upgrade, on ASUS UX501

@ltramoy Thanks for contacting us today. I am sorry to hear about the issues with your RAM. Usually we would have you try installing the RAM one module at a time, but since yours is onboard memory, we can't try that step. When you take this memory out does the system boot up like normally? Have you tried taking out the new memory and trying to reinstall it? It could be that it isn't quite seated correctly.  If it's not an installation issue then it would be best to contact us directly using the information in my signature to see if we can troubleshoot further. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

Yes I tried to reinstall it without success, and it does boot up normally when I remove the memory. I'll send a mail to the support then.

Bit Baby

I'm not sure if this would help, but have you tried clearing CMOS? I've found (at least in some laptops) that that helps
Kilobyte Kid

Hi, 

It turned out the RAM socket was falty. I gave it to a repair store, they fixed it and install the 16 GB RAM, and it works fine, so my Asus 501VW does support 24 GB of RAM in total, even though Asus says 16GB max. 

Laurent