scan indicates no upgrade available

Bit Baby

scan indicates no upgrade available

I have an HP 17-bs051od notebook and when I scanned it, the results indicated there were no upgrades available.  I entered the model number information and there were RAM upgrade options shown. My system has 6gb dram installed 2gb and 4gb. I would like to upgrade to 12gb if possible. Is this system upgradeable? Can the 2gb be replaced with and 8gb while retaining the original 4gb module? Or would I need to upgrade to 16gb replacing both modules with 8gb. Thank you

3 Replies
DIMMented

Re: scan indicates no upgrade available

According to the Crucial Advisor Tool, I got this page which shows your system has two removable modules and is capable of 32GB (2x16GB) total, although the HP documentation (page 48) only lists a maximum of 16GB (2x8GB) total.  It's possible a later firmware update allows the extra memory or perhaps Crucial has verified the chipset in the laptop supports the extra memory.  Either way you should be able to replace the 2GB module with an 8GB module for 12GB.  Just double check I chose the correct model in my link above.   

Bit Baby

@HWTech, regardless of my system still being upgradable by 16GB why does Crucial suggests no updates are required/available? Is it something faulty with the tool? 

Bikas Gaur
Showbox Mobdro Tutuapp
DIMMented

I'm just a regular Crucial customer, but it would seem the scanner for some reason was unable to find a recommendation for you.    If you use the Crucial Advisor Tool, then Crucial will guarantee compatiblity or your money back.  See the "guarantees compatibility" link below these tools on the main Crucial page.

Screenshot from US website:Crucial-guarantee.png

If you have doubts, you should contact Crucial Support  via Live Chat to confirm the part number you should order and to report the failure of the scanner tool.