Could you recommend gaming notebook?

Binary Boss

Re: Could you recommend gaming notebook?

bogdan wrote:

Okay, so my priorities/requirements are quite evolving at the moment and it seems Lenovo Y510P 2xGT755M SLI could be chosen. Do you have any thoughts of that kind of SLI setup? Smiley Happy

Did you end up getting it? I got the Lenovo IdeaPad Y510P as a gift and it's been eprforming marvelously for me! The exact model I got is here ~~ http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y510p/ ~~

It plays literally any game I throw at it right now, no lag what-so-ever. I would definitely recommend this laptop and similar for anyone looking for desktop gaming performance in a laptop. I still want to get a really good custom desktop build done, but until I have more money, this more than suits my needs.

JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

Yes, I did end up getting it Smiley Happy My configuration is GT755M SLI FHD, I7-4700MQ, 8GB RAM, Win8.1 and I use M550 512GB in it. 

What I like is the screen that covers 82% of sRGB gamut, it is way better than what I can see in my HP notebooks.

Also I like this AccuType keyboard very much, best notebook keyboard I have used. 

What I don't like is the poor thermal design and that the heat is noticeable during heavy gaming. But I can live with that Smiley Happy Overall very nice notebook model. The one I got has had literally no bloatware, only important drivers, nvidia driver and GeForce Experience software and lenovo Energy Management application Smiley Very Happy

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Binary Boss

When I got it, it came with the TB HDD option with the 8GB SSC. Eventually I would like to upgrade to Crucial's TB MX200 SSD, but for the moment I can't really justify it. However, something I am looking at doing in the near future is upgrading the stock 8GB to the 16GB Ballistix kit located here:

http:// www. crucial. com/ usa/ en/ ideapad- y510p/ CT5801981

I'm really looking forward to the RAM upgrade! Usually I'm a very patient indiviual but I'm finding it hard right now haha!

So far as the heat is concermed, I've experienced the same issues. General use isn't that bad, but when I've been gaming for a couple of hours it does start to get uncomfortably hot. My previous cooling pad's USB connector busted, but my girlfriend got me a cheap replacement from Wal-Mart and it's been working marvelously. As soon as I start feeling it get warm I plug in the cooling pad and the issue is gone. The cooling pad I am currently using is lcoated here: 

http:// www. walmart. com/ ip/ Onn- Laptop- Cooling- Pad/ 16794998

JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

In my opinion, unless you really need it for some unusual activity, adding more RAM to 8GB you have at the moment would not give you the user experience improvement that SSD could give. Have you considered smaller SSD, 512GB or 256GB maybe? I am using 512GB and it fits my needs.

Or are you waiting for next generation SSDs from crucial, 3D NAND with even better prices? Smiley Very Happy

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Binary Boss

I've never owned a game console, and all of my gaming has been done via PC. That being the case I have a number of emulators on my Lenovo that I utilize for playing console games, and they tend to be very RAM intensive, that's why I'm looking to do the Ballistix upgrade. So far as storage goes, I really do need at least a terabyte internal. I do a lot of photo and video editing and already have two external HDDs and an internal HDD in my old laptop that I use for storing finished products. Unfinished products are kep on my Lenovo directly.

Once the next generation of SSDs come out, that's when I'm going to be starting my custom build desktop! By that time I should have the funds available for such a product and I can't wait!