Nvidia G-Sync

JEDEC Jedi

Nvidia G-Sync

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7436/nvidias-gsync-attempting-to-revolutionize-gaming-via-smoothness

Next gen for us PC gamers?

Nvidia have invented some hardware to make monitors vary their refresh rate to match the GPU's framerate rather than vsync which matches the GPU to the monitor.  It ahs the upside of vsync (no screen tearing) with none of the downsides (no input lag or framerate limiting)

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
6 Replies
DIMMented

Re: Nvidia G-Sync

I'm not so sure about this, considering there's talk all over the internet that Nvidia supposedly bribed Origin PC to switch from AMD Graphics cards to GeForce Graphics cards over a week ago. This tech requires one to go out and buy a new monitor, and I'm not going to run out and spend $300.00 to $400.00+ on a new monitor, plus new videocards to get proper support if need be.

JEDEC Jedi

Whilst you may not like the company that's come up with this, to those of us obsessed with terms such as 'triple buffering' this has the potential to be one of the greatest things to happen to gaming in years!

I don't think the average gamer is going to be expected to go out and buy a new monitor and GPU the day this comes out.  That kind of behaviour is going to be reserved to the people who buy a > £300 video card ever year because they must have the best visual performance.

For the rest of us its simply something to look forward to in their next round of natural upgrades. My next monitor will, without a shadow of a doubt, have this functionality.  And monitors don't last forever.  I love my monitor but its 5.5 years old and is starting to suffer from image persistance in the bottom inch of the display if I leave anything there too long.  I could justify to myself replacing it for smoother gaming when I next upgrade my PC.

Graphic cards wise, it currently needs a Geforce 660 or better so there's many out there that wouldn't need an upgrade.  I would though - I have an AMD card!

Hopefully AMD will come out with an equivalent system or something similar will be adopted as part of an official cable standard.  What with AMD's Mantle PC gaming hardware looks like getting a little bit too non-standardised for my tastes.  I remember the bad old days of DOS where what model of hardware you had mattered and I don't like it!

Want to be a Super User?
DIMMented

Did you know that Nvidia has paid I don't know how many million for game optimizations including the latest Call Of Duty game which comes out next month. All Frostbite Engine games in some way will use Mantle, and this includes Battlefiled 4, and including Mass Effect 4 which is being worked on right now.

Nvidia has pulled way to may underhanded tactics lately from what I have seen lately.

I've got the Viewsonic VX2753mh 27inch Widescreen LED Monitor which isn't made anymore by Viewsonic, and I for one am not about to go out and blow $400.00 or more for another 27inch widescreen led with GSync then another $500.00 to $1000.00 for Nvidia videocards, that's out.

Did you know that GSync Monitor's are TN Panel's which from what I've been able to understand aren't the world's greatest for gaming and are mainly for photo editing, which should tell one something.

JEDEC Jedi

I would say its the other way around?  TN panels are fast but have poor colour production making them a bad choice for photo editing.  Your screen is TN according to google... Smiley Wink

Anyway the gsync card is a $100 mod to the displayport interface - it's unrelated to the panel type.  There's nothing stopping it being used in any panel type.

Whilst AMD do it a lot less, both video card manufacturers pay money for games to be optimised for them.  AnD considering how badly the so called AMD optimised saints row third runs on AMD hardware I hope AMD leave the job to Nvidia! Smiley Very Happy

Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

Early reviews of it are sounding good: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7582/nvidia-gsync-review

"I actually realized that I was playing Assassin’s Creed IV with an Xbox 360 controller literally two feet away from my PS4 and having a substantially better experience."

Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

AMD have come up with an alternative using existing (though not to desktops) connector technology and an upcoming displayport standard: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Variable-Refresh-FreeSync-Could-Be-Alternative-NVIDI...

You'll still need a new monitor and graphic card modern enough to have the appropriate hardware but it'll now be the case that everyone will eventually end up with this as standard rather than especially seeking out proprietary hardware to do it.

Want to be a Super User?