What games are you looking forward to?

Kilobyte Kid

Re: What games are you looking forward to?

This game has been seriously underrated by most people. The gameplay is the most immersive I have ever seen in any Diablo game, having played the entire series. The fact that there are 4 difficulties for the campaign adds a lot more of content to play through, and the 5 new classes are really cool. So what if it's not D2? That game is 10 years old, and the combat system there was quite primitive, and too much like WoW (too many spells/abilities to choose from). Things have to change eventually, and here they have. I believe it to be awesome even though it is still in Beta. For any RPG/Blizzard fan, this is your game.

JEDEC Jedi

After a rocky start to the beta (which is what it's for!) - I now love it. It's really addictive.  I played Diablo 2 and Nox to death but nothing in the genre released since then has held my attention for very long.  I was thinking maybe I'd got bored of the type of game and would find Diablo 3 repetitive.  But I don't!  So the problem seems to be that none of the arpg's released over the passed several years were Diablo rather than me tiring of the genre.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

It's here! Smiley Very Happy Who else is playing it then?

Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

Endless Space is the best game I've played in years.  I would highly recommend it to any turn based 4x fans (Civ etc).

Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

targetbsp wrote:

As for Cannon Fodder, it's great fun - but it's hard to justify its price next to all the AAA titles that are priced very little more if you shop around.  I might wait for a sale!

Coming to Steam tomorrow.  Will pick it up if its cheap.  It's fun but not worth the £20 its exclusive supplier (until tomorrow!) has been asking for it when compared to other titles.

I've been playing a lesser known pausable party RPG called Drakensang: River of Time lately.  It's great.  Pretty serious like the old Dungeons and Dragons games Bioware used to do in the pre-EA days.  Was pretty hard to get hold of because it's not sold in Europe depsite being made here! (in germany specifically believe).  Had to get an American friend to buy it for me.

Back on topic, I'm currently looking forward to the new graphic adventure Deponia being released next week having played the demo a few weeks back.

Want to be a Super User?
Community Manager

targetbsp wrote:

I've been playing a lesser known pausable party RPG called Drakensang: River of Time lately.  It's great.  Pretty serious like the old Dungeons and Dragons games Bioware used to do in the pre-EA days.  Was pretty hard to get hold of because it's not sold in Europe depsite being made here! (in germany specifically believe).  Had to get an American friend to buy it for me.

Is that the one that's based on a German tabletop RPG system? I heard about something called Drakensang: The Dark Eye a few years back, and thought it looked interesting.

I love those old D&D games...! Planescape:Torment is one of the best computer RPGs of all time! Smiley Happy

Katana,
US Moderator
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

That's the one. River of Time is the sequel to it.

I'm not entirely sure why I'm starting with the tricky to get hold of sequel when the prequel is more readily available here in the UK and I haven't bought it yet!  I'm just kinda working on the assumption that the second one will be a more polished product I guess.

I have to admit to not having played Planescape.  It passed me by when it was released and whilst I have it now as part of the Dungeons and Dragons anthology, it's quite hard to get into for the first time without a sense of nostalgia surrounding it for me!  One day perhaps.  But I just have so many modern games to get through yet!

Want to be a Super User?
Community Manager

It's very hard to get into any of the older D&D RPGs without the nostalgia factor. Dated graphics, compatibility difficulties with modern operating systems, and the gameplay is dated as well, not to mention brutally difficult. The original Baldur's Gate had one of the most unforgiving learning curves I've ever seen.

If you do decide to give Torment another try, be sure to mod and patch the thing properly!

Katana,
US Moderator
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

Luckily I'd already played the Baldurs gates and Icewind Dales.  Temple of Elemental Evil is also new to me, and whilst it is less highly regarded, it is just a touch more modern tech wise which seems to help it.

The whole lot still look fairly good due to be hand drawn which doesn't really age.  It's just the interface and poor tutorials that hamper things a bit by todays standards.

Have you seen this yet? This'll come as a pleasant surprise if the news has passed you by: http://baldursgate.com/ 

Want to be a Super User?
Community Manager

One of the more impressive aspects of the hand drawn backgrounds and the sprite characters is that when they're blown up to 1440x900 with a certain widescreen mod, they still manage to look surprisingly good.

I have seen the news about the re-release, but somehow it managed to slipmy mind. Thanks for the reminder! It's firmly bookmarked now. Smiley Happy

Katana,
US Moderator
Want to be a Super User?