What games are you looking forward to?

JEDEC Jedi

Re: What games are you looking forward to?

targetbsp wrote:

They're remaking X-COM Enemy Unknown for release Autumn/Fall this year!  As an actual turn based strategy game like the original.  X-COM is still IMO the greatest game of all time.

Pre-release demo out today! http://store.steampowered.com/app/200510/

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Community Manager

I've been thinking about pre ordering this so will have to check it out tonight.

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

The demo was quite limited.  The downsides if it being tutorial missions I guess.  And the base screen had a lot of functionality removed from it.

Going just off the demo, I'd have been unimpressed.  But thankfully, I've read and seen a lot more of the full game and it's a lot better.  Its first review score came in at 9.5/10 too from Game Informer.

I'm going to have a hard time watching America play it next tuesday whilst i have to wait for Friday!

green man gaming are selling it with a 25% off code (except for America) including a free copy of Civ V (both on Steam).  The discount code is on their front store page.

Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

My latest new game recommendation.  Another remake of a decades old Amiga game: Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams

The original game became a bit of a cult classic as it was withdrawn due to being a blatant rip off of Mario.  They (much!) later made up with nintendo though and actually made the game for DS.

Now they are back with a PC version and it is stunning!  We don't often get classic platformers like this about jumping on enemies heads and collecting things.  We tend to get insanely difficult games needing pixel perfect timing or puzzle platformers.

The game is simply gorgeous in 2.5d.  The twist in it is that you can switch between 2 dimensions at will - a cutesy one and a kind of hellish one.  Whats amazing is that as well as the two being completely different, the switch between them is animated!  Their artists must have been goign insane by the end of this project.

The reason for switching is each of the 2 sisters has her own dimension and each has a different jump skill - either a floating one or a sort of bash one.  Also some of the crystals you collect are only in one world or the other and certain obstacles are only in one or the other.

The switch happens instantly to your character when you press the jump button for the character you are not and you continue from the same location with the same momentum so you can chain together the different moves seemlessly.

It's well worth checking out for platformer fans.  There's an early pre-release demo here for a kickstarter project they ran: http://project-giana.com/download/

Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

If you want something a little bit different and like horror then I recommend Paranormal: http://www.desura.com/games/paranormal

It basically simulates one of those found footage horror movies - but you're creating it.  The whole game is seen through a camcorder that you're holding.  As a game, I'm not entirely sure what the point of it is other than to wonder around a dark house having the **bleep** absolutely scared out of you!  I find games like this and Amnesia far scarier than movies.

Also, despite it being new, you can pick it up from as little as $1 from this PWYW indie bundle atm: http://groupees.com/bm6

I think they're trying to build a user base to get it greenlit on Steam.  The bundle also includes the excellent graphic adventure Ceville.

Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

I totally have the SimCity beta. Smiley Very Happy  I won't be sleeping tonight...

Want to be a Super User?
Community Manager

How is it Target?  I've been trying to get a Key and also been playing Cim City 4 waiting for the new one to come out!

Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

Seems it was a weekend of giving all those who signed up for the beta test and weren't in the program a quick taster of it. More of a demo than anything.

So I was actually limited to an hours play so it didn't in fact ruin my sleep!  That hour sure flew by though so I kept my pre-order in place.

It's good.  I mean I didn't play it and think 'wow' but I certainly wanted to keep playing it.  I guess by the time it's the fifth in the series, how it plays is not much of a surprise any more!

More than anything, that's probably the best thing about it.  It makes a change for a company to make a sequel to an old classic and not completely change it!

There's very little I had issue with.  My main problem was the scrolling.  The traditional ways of scrolling were too slow for my tastes and the new prefered way they've introduced which involves holding down a button and scrolling faster or slower depending upon how far you move the mouse takes some getting used to.  If they add a menu option for scroll speed of the traditional cursor on edge of screen or cursor keys variety then I'll be happy!

The main differences from the old games have all been covered well in the gameplay promotional videos.

Namely:

1) How key the roads are to everything after Simcity 4's decision to mostly remove your control of them and automate their creationa s part of the zoning.  It's the other way around this, your road construction is one of the most important aspects and all your zoning can only occur along the edges of roads and roads carry your water and power.  And the road type dictates the zone density.

2) And secondly that rather than building multiple utility buildings (fire statiosn etc) you'll generally be upgrading the ones you already have.

Other than that, it'll all be pretty familiar.

Want to be a Super User?
Community Manager

It sounds good and will be buying it when it comes out, I miss Cim City games.

I'm also looking forward to Omerta: City of Gangsters which is due at the end of this month.  I've not played the Demo yet but it reminds me of Gangsters which I loved.

Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

I was loking forward to that too.  But I played the demo of that at the weekend and wasn't that impressed to be honest.

The city parts seemed too slow paced even for a TBS gamer such as myself.  Almost like a mobile game - choose an option and sit back and wait for your reward.  It probably gets more interestingly later on when there's more going on at once though.

The XCOM style combat parts kind of pale against the recent remake of XCOM unfortunately.

I've never played gangsters so i couldn't give you a comparison on that!

I'd be interested to hear what you think of it. I maybe didn't give it enough time.

Want to be a Super User?