Kilobyte Kid
mikem9
Accepted Solution

Cloning HD but no CD drive

Should have looked into this before I bought but have bought a M500 240GB SSD upgrade for a Samsung NC20, plus Crucial Easy Laptop Install Kit, i.e. Acronis software, to clone the existing HD. Thought this would be straight forward but then realised I cannot do this because the Samsung NC20 does not have a CD drive and I cannot use the Acronis CD to boot my laptop.

Is it possible then to install the Samsung NC20 HD into a surrogate laptop, that does have a CD drive, and clone it from there using the Acronis CD? Will that work or will it cause harm? Any other solutions to clone? Being non-techie, anything too intricate might be beyond me but any help most appreciated.

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Re: Cloning HD but no CD drive

Hi mikem9,

As Acronis boots from CD it will be perfectly fine to clone the HDD using a different system, this means the cloning software will boot up before the system does.

It will work in the exact same was as if you done the clone in your own computer.  We have a step by step guide on how to use Acronis in our knowledge base.  You can see the article HERE.

If you need any help at all please don't hesitate to contact us and we would be happy to help.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid
mikem9

Never taken a laptop apart before but amazing what you can do after watching a couple of youtube videos. My son was not keen for me to open up his laptop to use as a surrogate but success indeed. Many thanks.

Kilobyte Kid
pcarcas

I just spoke to your customer support with exactly the same query and was told that without a cd drive it cannot be done.