Considering Windows 7 with Dell Dimension 4700

Kilobyte Kid

Considering Windows 7 with Dell Dimension 4700

I have a Dell 4700 with a A10 BIOS and a 520W PSU and 4 Gigs of Crucial memory (DDR2-667 at 333Mhz 240 pin). Everything else is the same with the original Dell 4700 MOBO and the original CPU( Prescott Intel P4 520J, 2.8 Ghz). I am presently running Windows XP Pro Sp3 and considering installing Windows 7 Home Premium or Basic 64 bit to utilize the 4 Gigs of RAM that I have as XP only utilizies 3 Gigs.

My question is will the CPU be good enough to run Window 7 or do I need a Dell Prescott P4 660 at 3.6 Mhz @800 FSB?

If so what heatsink would I need for that CPU? If my pc is going to run slow due to Windows 7 should I just buy or build a new computer. Since XP is going to be dropped by Microsoft next year I thought I best find out now what to do.

I am 70 years old and just use the computer to check my email and surf the web. I don't play any games or download movies.

4 Replies
Community Manager

Re: Considering Windows 7 with Dell Dimension 4700

Hi jackrabbit1,

Based on the Windows 7 system requirements it looks like the Dell 4700 should be fine to run Windows 7. A list of these specifications can be found here. Based on these specifications it appears you should have no issues with your processor and Windows 7. You shouldn't experience slow down when upgrading as your system does have more than the minimum requirements. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns about upgrading.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thanks for your reply. One more question--should I run Windows 7  32 bit or 64 bit with my present CPU chip as I think it only runs 32 bit with XP?

Thanks,

Jackrabbit

Community Manager

Either one would be compatible with your system. Since you are upgrading anyway (and already have 4GB of RAM) it would probably be best to go to the 64bit system. That way you can take advantage of the 4GB of RAM.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

Actually the Dell Dimension 4700 had a p4 which although it had hypertransfer technologies on board. It was not a 64bit processor. The Intel Pentium 4 was 32-bit only. The board can be upgraded to 64bit. So unless you have a different CPU than I have been running for the past 2 years, Picked up on the side of the road and upgraded to a maximum of 4gb (3 - 3.5gb usable), it is best to run 32-bit. If 64-bit is a must, first check to see if you are indeed running a 64-bit processor, and if not, price out a 64bit CPU for that board. It is Compatible, however the stock CPU is not.

Registered to clear that up. 

(Trying to install an OS that is not compatible is a real pain in the neck)