Graphics Controller

Bit Baby

Graphics Controller

Hello!  Can anyone tell me if I need to upgrade my Graphics Card?  I have a several year old Compaq Presario sr1230nx with the only changes were added RAM and went to a new SATA 250 Harddrive.  People tell me upgrading will make p.c. run faster?  Thanks in advance!

2 Replies
Community Manager

Re: Graphics Controller

Hi wbmjr,

Generally you are unable to upgrade the graphics card on a system that's not self built.  I would contact HP to see if there is an upgrade option available but generally it's not something that can be upgraded.

You can upgrade the RAM no problem as manufacturers generally put in less than the system can support.  That's why you could do that no problem but unfortunately it's different with graphics cards and I would recommend contacting the manufacturer directly.

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

Re: Graphics Controller

Your computer was released back in 2004 and has only an AGP 8x slot. I'm not sure if it would make sense to put more money into such an old rig. If you can buy a very inexpensive secondhand AGP gfx card it might be worth it. You need to find if you can use a standard size gfx card or require a low profile one, as well as figure out how out how many watts your power supply has. If you have a low wattage factory power supply then that can limit your upgrade options as well.