How to identify which program has a memory leak?

JEDEC Jedi

How to identify which program has a memory leak?

I often use a VM and web browsers together and the past few weeks Windows has been spamming low memory messages at me.  I don't have masses of RAM but I should have enough and I'm pretty sure the problem is that something I'm running has a memory leak.  The computer just went down after warnings of low memory and my occupancy exceeding 80%.  After powering it back up and loading up the exact same VM and browser tabs it was in the mid 60's.

Now the problem is, I have an OCD need to run the latest version of every bit of software I own so it's hard to track what update might be the problem.  Task manager and process explorer aren't showing me all the ram being used because they reckon my VM is using a mere 100MB - and it isn't!  Google is not a lot of help as it's all about helping developers trace memory leaks in their own programs.  As a lot of people here are into RAM, though presumably more on the hardware side than this, I figured I'd see if anyone here has any ideas on how to locate the problem.

Thanks

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
1 Reply
JEDEC Jedi

Re: How to identify which program has a memory leak?

The idea, it seems, is to add the virtual memory column in process explorer and check usage there too.  It's actually behaved since I've done this so I've yet to find the actual problem!  Maybe whatever was playing up has now received another update to fix it.

In any case, I've added another 2GB ram, so assuming it's a 32 bit app it can munch all that up without affecting the free RAM I actually need.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?